Author Topic: Help avoiding scorched back when heat treating?  (Read 4390 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Help avoiding scorched back when heat treating?
« on: December 11, 2016, 05:56:29 pm »
This has been happening especially when adding reflex against a simple caul. I think the heat gets trapped between the bow and the caul. Crowned staves are worse. I guess I could thin the caul so it doesn't stick out to the side of the bow. Any thoughts?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Help avoiding scorched back when heat treating?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:09:01 pm »
Patience ..........drop the heat gun temp down a notch, pull it back an inch or two and slow down.....patience.. from experience. ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »
Can you post a picture of your caul?  Are you trying to heat it to quick?  Are you holding the heat gun so it blows on the belly of the bow or on the sides of the limbs?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:27:57 pm »
I tried making a 3/4" caul for that reason but found I couldn't bend the bow sideways if I wanted. The bow was stronger than the caul.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:52:13 pm »
Can you post a picture of your caul?  Are you trying to heat it to quick?  Are you holding the heat gun so it blows on the belly of the bow or on the sides of the limbs?

I hold it directly over the belly about 4" away. Maybe it's happening when my arms get tired and I unknowningly lower it. Sounds like slower and further away is the key.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 07:10:27 pm »
Are you holding the heat gun in one spot for a long time or do you keep it constantly moving? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 07:12:08 pm »
I just hold the gun at about a 45* angle to the wood and keep it moving. I go slow enough that you don't want to hold your hand on the wood once the gun passes. Then just keep doing slow passes until the wood get to the color you like. The only time I have issues with a little edge and back scorch is when I try bending out a side kink and I get in a hurry. I think that between concentrating the heat in one spot and the heat rebounding onto the back. Though I've never had an issue from a light toasting on the back.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 07:22:11 pm »
I made a jig to hold the heat gun. It's hard to hold it an even distance away for 45 minutes.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 07:53:01 pm »
I've been meaning to make one of those DC. I think Marc has a pic of one he made in TBB 3.

Moon that sounds like a smart way to do it. I've been staying on one spot until it browns up and that could be the problem.

How do you guys add reflex? I usually clamp near the handle, start heating and bend and clamp as I go. I never want to bend the wood into reflex while it's cold.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:47:43 pm »
I hold the heat gun 1" to  2" above the belly working it back and forth over a 6" area. When that area is chocolate brown I move out to the next 6" going back over the previous area(s) until I'm at the end of the working area of the limb. Once it's all tempered and the clamps are in place I go over the entire limb again then let it cool over night at least before I unclamp it.  Doing it this way I can lightly temper a limb in 30 minutes or less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 12:03:29 am »
One thing i think is important, if your caul is charred you need to sand it down. Once it is charred it is charcoal basically and it ignites faster than uncharred wood and will char the back faster with less heat
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 03:50:00 am »
clamp side cheeks to the edges of the bow.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/two-steps-forward-one-step-back.html
This youtube video shows it in action:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1_A2A0_TI
Del
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:36:21 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 04:52:16 am »
It is very simple - just make your form narrower than the bow.
If you need a form to bend limbs sideways etc then make a separate on that is up to the job.
Mine is a piece of oak 1 inch wide and 4" deep.
Making a holder for the gun is pretty much essential if you are going to be doing more than a few heat treated bows. Forget holding it.....BORING!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:21 am »
I do like Mike, 1 for straightening and reflexing and one for heat treating if I decide to do so.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:28 am »
These comments are amazingly helpful. Thank you kindly gentlemen

Nigerian Proverb