Author Topic: Fred "Bowferd" Arnold  (Read 17343 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Fred "Bowferd" Arnold
« on: December 18, 2016, 05:20:48 pm »
"A boy's dream, A man's life"

The bow and arrow spoke to him when he was five years old

It said, come play with me young lad if you should be so bold

The singing string and whispering shaft was music to his soul

He knew it was a part of him when he was twelve years old

The bow was small for a lad so tall as he grew so long and lean

A new bow he sought, and finely bought, this lad who turned sixteen

The years they flew and at twenty two, a bow for the bride he took

Together they hunted for whitetail deer from their camp by a babbling brook

Soon a little bow hung along side the bows of mom and dad

Then another,.. and still another,.. three little bowmen this couple had

As time went by the children grew, then Grand children came along

Once again, the longbow sang, it's captivating song

This new generation was soon to learn the wonders of stick and string

They watched as Grandpa showed them, the joys the bow could bring

No one can count the arrows that this man has sent to flight

Someday he'll shoot his very last shaft into the murky night

But for now there's a great grand child who must learn of the bow from me

This old man, still loves his bow, at the age of seventy three.

TO BE CONTINUED

-unknown

Found on Fred’s computer

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Fred Arnold

Re: Fred "Bowferd" Arnold
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:29:35 pm »
Fredrick Eugene Arnold, born November 20th 1949, died at the age of 67 while sleeping in the home he
built in Elba, NE during the quiet morning hours of December 11th, 2016.
Fred, born the eldest son and second child to Darrell Eugene and Irene Cecilia (Cunningham) Arnold is
survived by his mother Irene, seven siblings Paula, Jim, Matt, LeAnne, Monica, Darrell, and Dolores,
four children Guy, Melanie, David, and Jeffrey, thirteen grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his father Darrell, brother Dennis, and sister Marilyn.
Fred was born and grew up spit-shining shoes as a boy in North Platte, NE where he learned that an
honest smile and an ethical character can compensate for a little orneriness and a loud laugh. He taught
a brother or two his expertly performed trade and teenage business savvy in the hardworking manner
that only the child of a devout couple with ten children could duplicate. Traveling and working, Fred
used his charm and his love of life and people to win friends across the state of Nebraska. Working as a
shoeshine boy, a butcher, a salesman, and an entrepreneur, Fred was able to take care of himself and
those close to him who needed it. Fred's honesty, loyalty, and hard work earned him a reputation as a
man that people could trust. For around twenty years Fred lived and worked in Grand Island while
raising a family before finding a piece of property that he had always wanted in Elba where he and his
children built a house and where he settled for good. Fred spent his time crafting quality traditional
longbows and custom traditional arrows. Known only as Bowferd to some, he continued in the same
manner as he always had, creating another group of true friends who respected his work and worth.
Fred, you were an avid bowman and nature lover, a worker and a player. You were a true cowboy. A
son, a father, a brother, a protector, an adviser, a comedian, and a dancer. Your spirit cannot be replaced,
and your laugh cannot be replicated. Before you left us, you said that you were at peace with God. Go
with God, Fred. You will be sorely missed.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 05:38:28 pm »
I apologize if there is a more appropriate place to post this. I know that my father loved the activity on these boards and that there may have been unfinished business with some of you, his friends. I am sorry to have to inform you that my father, Fred, has passed away. He made sure to tell me to be sure to notify all of you in the event of his passing. I cannot express my gratitude enough for the company that you all have kept with him these last years of his life. He spoke fondly of everything that he did with fellow enthusiasts, and because he lived in a isolated area, all of you were some of the closest friends that he had. I will miss him dearly, and I wish that we had gotten around to a little more of the training that he intended for me but with any luck perhaps I will have the time to learn some of his tricks from all of you. I will not be able to address the boards as often as he might have, but would like to get more familiar with all of you and, in time, find out if I have some of his craft.

If there is any unfinished business outstanding please notify me at david.p.arnold@gmail.com and if there is a way to settle it then I will try to do so.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:18:20 pm »
My condolences for your loss. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 06:53:19 pm »
Very, very hard to read this. My thoughts are with all of his family and close friends.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 07:42:38 pm »
Condolences on your loss, I have one of Fred's bows and it is a fine weapon. Try to remember the good times and let the rest go
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:54 pm »
So sorry for your loss. Fred will be missed here on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:37 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss and though your father has shoot his very last shaft into our sky I'm sure he made it possible for many others to let them fly. I'm sure he will join those who've gone before us to the Happy Hunting grounds. May God Bless him and take him home
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 10:45:19 am »
So sorry for your loss, and ours. He will be missed.  :( Thoughts and prayers with you and his family.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 11:09:30 am »
Very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:04 am »
My deepest condolences
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:16 am »
My condolences to you and the family. While I didn't know Mr. Arnold, he was part of our family and he will be missed. Thank you so much for letting us know of his passing, so we may grieve with you. God Bless you and your family during this hard time.

Offline warpath

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
My condolences for your loss. Always tough losing a loved one.

G

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 11:59:14 am »
I'll loose an arrow in his honour. Condolences to you all.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 02:17:25 pm »
I got to talk with Fred a couple of times on the phone this past year. What a fine father you had. My prayers go out to your family.