Author Topic: Backing options?  (Read 5266 times)

Offline lauderw55

Backing options?
« on: December 18, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »
I am trying to find some backings that doesn't break my bank. I make a lot of board bows and aware that hickory and bamboo are good choices. I have used rawhide and also not primitive options. I was wondering on some different opinions on silk backing or any other durable backing material people have used for board bows. Thanks for your time

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Re: Backing options?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »
Ive used silk with good results. You can get small strips from a fabric store if you canfind pure silk there. Or go thrift store shopping and look for 100% silk ties or dresses or suit jackets with silk linings. Try to find neutral colors as they can be died to your liking.

Ive also heard of using brown paper. Im going to try that next on a board bow.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:20:05 pm »
I use a high-tensile-strength paper called "Elephant Hide." It's an origami paper used by people who fold intricate tessellations that require lots of strained creases. I've never made a board bow, but the stuff has never failed me on all the wood bows I've made and I've made a bunch. You can find it for a reasonable price on the Paper Jade website. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Is it possible to attach sold with titebond3? What did you use to attach the paper to the bow with?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:18:18 pm »
If you can find a roll of brown paper similar to what paper grocery bags are made from, it works well too. I apply a sizing coat of thinned TB2 to the bow then glue the paper on with another coat when it has dried a little bit.
Springfield, MO

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 10:50:01 pm »
You can get huge rolls of thick brown paper for $11 at menards. I think it was something like 4' wide by 100' long roll. It seems like it would be good backing material. I'm planning to get a roll for myself to try out.

Kyle

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 09:21:14 am »
I use a lot of hard maple as a backing material. It's relatively cheap, and it's a lot easier to find good, straight grained pieces of hard maple than it is to find good hickory for a backing (at least for me in Atlanta). It's a tough wood though, so I usually plane mine down to just under 1/8" thick.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 02:19:48 pm »
I still like linen cloth.  Two yards of it will cost you, like, 12 bucks, and you can back a bunch of bows.  It takes some imagination, but you can apply it in reflex by clamping the handle down with blocks under the tips. TB III works great.  You can paint on it, and get it in earth tones, etc....

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 07:26:20 pm »
Ditto what Springbuck said, linen is inexpensive and easy to put down. You can also stain or dye it before applying.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline BSV

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 07:51:48 pm »
I like Linen too,don't forget to size first..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:00 pm »
All of the above are good but no one mentioned rawhide. You can trade for it here usually or buy two strips from the vendors on the site pretty cheap.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 11:19:39 pm »
A lot of times Tractor supply will give you this for free...There is a very tough paper shippers put on pallets before they put their product on the pallet. I use this stuff for shipping staves "free shipping paper" and I believe it would make a good backing if you want to go the paper route.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 11:40:23 pm »
I've backed with sild cut from dresses. I wrapped the seams with thread and soaked with glue.

Burlap is good too as is linen.

More on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 02:07:15 am »
As Mullet said, rawhide. the others mentioned work, some better than others, but rawhide in my opinion is the best way to go.
I have some. PM me for a trade if you wish...I'm cheaply bought ;D
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.