Author Topic: chrysal fix?  (Read 5258 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: chrysal fix?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »
i was paying attention,, nice fix :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 09:09:34 pm »
Asharrow, it seems like doing that fix correctly takes a fair amount of skill. Your work looks impeccable.  ;)

So here's what I decided to do... baring in mind asharrow and Weylin's observation that the lower limb was bending too much, I looked hard at the full draw pics and decided they were right. I decided to take about and inch of the bottom tip, leaving the bow asymmetrical, and check the bend. Here's a picture right after I did that. I think it looks better. What do you all think?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 01:26:15 pm »
Whether the lower limb is bending less than it was or not, I can't tell. It looks like the tips are traveling equal distance.

Here's my advice now: If it's shooting well, shoot it. Just put a finish on it and call it done.

If we keep messing with an imperfect bow, we'll end up killing it.

Bowyers for generations have said perfection in arrows is more important than perfection in bows. I  say the skill of the archer is more important than either.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 02:41:55 pm »
how does the bow shoot,,??

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 05:53:30 pm »
It shoots great. It pulls 50# at 30" I suppose the only worry is that it may eventually fail in the spot where the chrysal was. I think it's pretty safe on the back, as I backed it with a trusted special type of paper and put rattler skins over that. I wrapped the handle with deer hide and it even has horn overlays. Maybe I'll gift it to someone who won't use it a whole lot, although no one comes to mind.

P.S. Thanks asharrow for all the insight and advice. I'm proceeding as you suggested... this one is done!  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb