Author Topic: now that we have a Muzzleloader forum does anyone know where to find .32s?  (Read 9305 times)

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
So I've spent the better part of two days on track of the wolf, dixie guns, buds gun shop, midway usa, muzzleloaders supply, every big box chain, etc. trying to find a .32 or .36 affordable blackpowder rifle in flintlock or caplock.

It looks like Traditions no longer offers the Crockett .32 percussion or the deerhunter .32 perc or flint.

From what I gather one of the only places that still makes straight and swamped 32 barrels altogether is rice as green mountain and others have stopped.

Deer creek still has a few .36 kits in flint and percussion but I really wanted .32 for a better squirrel rifle.

Any ideas? Anyone know where to find one?

edit: I'm looking sub $500 range here. I don't need a pristine $2000 reproduction sidelock. : )

Offline chamookman

I thought I just saw the Crocket Rifle .32 on sale a Dixie. Had a sales flyer from them, but just tossed it out. Sorry about that ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

TVM has a poor boy kit for $675 in .32. They offer it in a 13/16" barrel which will be really heavy. You can always do a barrel upgrade for more cash. An "A" weight 32 barrel would be sweet.

All the barrel makers will make a .32 barrel, except colerain which only go to .36

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
I thought I just saw the Crocket Rifle .32 on sale a Dixie. Had a sales flyer from them, but just tossed it out. Sorry about that ! Bob

Yeah they don't have it in stock though. No one does. It's not even available from Traditions website.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
TVM has a poor boy kit for $675 in .32. They offer it in a 13/16" barrel which will be really heavy. You can always do a barrel upgrade for more cash. An "A" weight 32 barrel would be sweet.

All the barrel makers will make a .32 barrel, except colerain which only go to .36

The guy at Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders told me Rice was the only one still doing a mass production .32 barrel. Weird.

$675 is a little more than I'd like to go. $500 is kind of my hard limit for my next kit.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Have you checked with Long Hammock?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
Have you checked with Long Hammock?

I haven't.

I'm not really ready for a complete in the raw build though. Really I was looking for anyone still doing a kit like the Crockett .32 That wasn't $600+ depending on level of finish

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Gotcha, Long Hammock makes custom barrels and is local down here. Very nice barrels and owns the property where our club shoots 3-D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

What you were told was correct, Rice makes runs of .32s, the others will make them on request and sometimes have them in stock.

I would save a little longer and move up to a more historically correct rifle.

The trouble is parts have gone out the roof and will continue to do so.

I know of guys who bought barrels and wood blanks even though they didn't plan on using them at the time. They were probably buying barrels for $75 to $100 that you couldn't touch for twice the price now.

One stated a while back he had enough parts to go full time when he retired and never run out.

Sorta' like my osage stash.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:50:33 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

More info; Check with Buckeye Barrels to see what they have in stock, they have a lot but they will be pricy.

Tip Curtis has hundreds if not thousands of barrels and probably has what you are looking for. He carries mostly Colerain or Green Mt barrels. He is not online but has more guns and gun parts than anyone else.
615-654-4445

The main thing is to decide what you want to build before you start looking for a barrel.

A ready made would be your best option if you can find one.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
What you were told was correct, Rice makes runs of .32s, the others will make them on request and sometimes have them in stock.

I would save a little longer and move up to a more historically correct rifle.

The trouble is parts have gone out the roof and will continue to do so.

I know of guys who bought barrels and wood blanks even though they didn't plan on using them at the time. They were probably buying barrels for $75 to $100 that you couldn't touch for twice the price now.

One stated a while back he had enough parts to go full time when he retired and never run out.

Sorta' like my osage stash.

yeah the biggest problem is I don't really know what I want.

I know that I've got an old CVA Hawken stock and double trigger assembly and a caplock (minus the hammer) that I'm converting to a flinter. I'm getting the cva barrel, flintlock, and screws from Deer Creek after Christmas.

That one is in a .50cal and I want something smaller for squirrels and rabbits.

I can't decide if I want a 32flint or a 20gauge smoothbore trade rifle. I've heard they're fairly accurate out to 40-50 yards if loaded right and I can shoot anything out of it.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
I've got a TC .32 Cherokee rifle, percussion, that I've hunted skwirel with for years. Bought it when I was a teen. Not wanting to part w it though. Just saying, TC used to make one anyways. Just my two cents. It's a fun gun even for my kids to shoot.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)