Author Topic: On the backs of Giants  (Read 3417 times)

Stringman

On the backs of Giants
« on: December 19, 2016, 06:02:13 pm »
I have been inspired through certain recent events, conversations, and the passing of one of our own, to reflect on what (who) got us here. I recall a certain college course some 20 years ago where a professor defined "Renaissance man" to me. I thought it was odd because almost every male in my life had been some variation of that stereotypical John Wayne. As I grow older (and the world falls apart around me) I see how small that group truly is.

With my post count nearing 3k and my membership at 8 years, I recognize my contribution to this community is still small but legitimate. In that time, I have seen personalities mature and excel, and I've seen some implode. A fair number of you have been a mentor to me in one way or another and I hope I have done my part to pass it along. I have traveled across this nation and attended many events where I have had the good pleasure to meet scores of you wonderful people. And occasionally, I have been blessed with the opportunity to sit down and glean wisdom from some of our most revered elders. And at the risk of unintentionally offending, I would like to name a few of those men whom we owe so much.

Joe,
I sat down beside him at the classic about 4 years ago and was swept up in the hunt stories being passed back and forth between him and Hawk. The West has always drawn me and I was captivated by their recount of memorable hunts. I sat with my still hands holding rock I couldn't knap while my mind was soaring over mountains I had never seen. Over the last few years I have learned a great deal about what generosity looks like and he has accepted me into his circle without so much as a blink. Each chat with him is another window into the life he's lived and the adventures he's walked. I don't deserve his friendship, but I'm honored to have it. 

Tim Ott,
He was a regular here, and he made what I aspired to. His pieces were the epitome of functional art. When I met him at Mojam, he said "pull up a bucket." He galvanized my determination to perfect my craft (I still haven't.) I'm sure I will never get to demonstrate to him the influence he had on my bow building, nor thank him for the help on thinning, but I owe much of my current progress to him. Timo you are an excellent teacher, hope to have you back here someday!

Pappy,
Part Godfather, part grampa, part teddy bear. You are so much to so many and I marvel how you still find time for your wife and family! Most of us never consider the enormous time strain running Twin Oaks must put on your family life, but I'm here to say "Thank You!" You have built a community through your generosity and good will, with a fair sprinkling of leadership and discipline thrown in. You invite us in at the drop of a hat. You open the gates and say "stay the week." You keep us posted on all the latest in "Life is Good." And you still manage to turn out your own plethora of completed projects. For anyone who has had the opportunity to taste a Pappy burger you can attest to the efficiency with which the Classic runs. How you keep members excited and coming back for more is testament enough to your leadership ability.

You gentlemen (and a half dozen others I have in mind) are the reason we are here. May your family be blessed, and your Christmas season be Merry. And May we always have such respectable elders to look up to.

(If you have similar stories feel free to add them here.)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:25:47 pm by Stringman »

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: On the backs of Giants
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:10:56 pm »
Very well said Scott,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:15:52 pm »
Dbar those where my exact words again well said Scott. But I think of more than a half dozen more if not giants then really tall and still growing people too.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 06:26:32 pm »
Very well said Scooter. A lot of us think it and talk it, but you my friend put it in words. I've shaken Joe's hand once at pappy's. I've never met Tim. Your pappy excerpt was wonderfully accurate. The tens of thousands of people he has changed/guided is staggering. I don't think my numbers are exaggerated either, maybe even conservative. Just look inside his cabin and tell me he hasn't touched a lot of people in a positive way.

PA mag is itching for your pen work, Scott :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:51:03 pm »
Well said Scott, and I'm sure you've done your part in passing along.
Del
(part teddy bear...  :laugh: )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 07:50:57 pm »
Some fine words Scott.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:30:43 pm »
Scott, I have been very fortunate to sit with all 3 that you mention and so many more over the years. All are giants for sure. Very nice of you to bring this up and yes you sure have a nice way with words, Pearly , I got a chance to stay overnight in Pappy's cabin and you are right the place is packed full of stuff people have gave Pappy for being all that Scott said. I often wonder how many lives have been touched thru these giants, Truly awesome, Merry Christmas to all and hope to see all of ya's in May. Bob

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 11:59:56 pm »
Dang Scott you can write!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:05:54 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 01:15:58 am »
Well said.  You are a class act Scott.  I watched you at the Classic last year while you were teaching some youngsters to knap.  My friend, you are a "Giant" in your own rite.  Merry Christmas.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:31:39 am »
Very nice Scott.  I hope our generation keeps the bar as high as time unfolds.
Merry Christmas.
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 08:44:22 am »
I hardly know what to say except I am very humbled by that and Thanks, to be listed with them 2 brings a tear to my eye and made for a good day. Thanks you. Parnell yall already have. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:11:12 am »
Very, very well written Scott.   

But, there is another name that belongs on that list, and it is yours Scott.  I have personally witnessed a number of times you taking the time to teach and to give generously to scores of people, young and old.  I have seen the kindness of your heart shine through in the way you talk, and the craft that you demonstrate.
So thank you, and the dozens of other giants that I have had the opportunity to meet, both in person, and through this site.
May we all take a page from the books of these fine gentleman, and pass along kindness, generosity, and greatest of all love.

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 10:24:39 am »
"Flowers are best given to the livin," says my late grampa. "For the dead can't smell em!"
Del
Pat
Eddie
Marc
Guy
Bubby
George
JW
Rich

You folks have circles of impact that most of us will never know. You stop in and drop your pearls and then leave to continue making a difference in your own areas of living. Folks stop by your house and you give freely. A friend calls from around the world and your hands go silent as you think of ways to pass on from the wealth at your fingertips.

If I learned from the majority I would hoarde the knowledge I've gained to make the most profit from it. But when I watch you, I'm taught to be generous with what I have. Be a good steward with both knowledge and materials and that generosity is what inspires the next generation. Keep on passin it on friends. This place, these people, your gifts... It's the best place on the web because of your spirit of good will! Keep it up and honor those that have gone before.

I'm done.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:25:29 pm by Stringman »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 12:47:58 pm »
I hope our generation keeps the bar as high as time unfolds.
Merry Christmas.

That's a big 10-4 good buddy. How can we fail with the role models we "grew up" around?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 01:12:55 pm »
Stringman: I agree with your grandpa 100% about the flowers. Big ole waste of money.

This place is like an encyclopedia of info and in my 60 plus years of shooting a bow and being around archery I have never seen anything like it.  Most everyone is helpful and honest and I appreciate that.  Been to a few archery shoots and other events over the years and met the likes of Pearl Drums, Pappy, Ryan Gill, Tower, Zuma, Outbackbob and Patrick Blank to name a few. All top shelf quality guys that have given me some knowledge along the way.

Thanks