Author Topic: Turkey Camp 2017 - THINGS HAVE CHANGED!  (Read 4633 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Turkey Camp 2017 - THINGS HAVE CHANGED!
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:40:07 pm »
I've had a number of people contacting me about possible openings in the Turkey Camp this spring.  Sorry to say, but due to unanticipated changes, I will not be hosting a camp this year. 

Many people know I am the founder and lead educator at the Black Hills Raptor Center, and yet I do not draw a salary or wages for my work with the non-profit.  Because of how this takes up so much of my time, I have been working part time for the last 6 years in order to throw my weight behind something I truly believe in, heart and soul.  After some truly difficult soul searching, I have decided I have come to the end of my rope. What little rope is left is thin and frayed and nowhere near enough for me to make a knot to hold. 

A new friend in Arizona has thrown me a lifeline that I have decided to take.  I will be moving to Yuma to take a job with her company.  Financially, it is the only choice I can make. The job begins as a six month contract as her new business explores "proof of concept".  If the start-up proves out, I may be offered additional contract work and I will explore the option of staying with her or moving back to the Black Hills to take back up where I have left off.

The other Board of Directors have generously guaranteed my place on the Board during the interim.  I will still maintain a vote and will be welcomed back when the six month job is completed. Granted, the timing could be better, as I will be leaving about the time that we are at the peak of our school program season.  If you believe in prayer, ask that other volunteers find the courage to step up.  We are also breaking ground this spring on the infrastructure and earthwork on our new facility...something that breaks my heart to miss. 

I can't pretend I am not scared. I am walking away from what I know and into the unknown, zero guarantees. I feel like I am trading my responsibilities for temporary gain of comfort.  But on the other hand, it is apparent I have been showing alarming signs of burn-out. When I discussed this with my rabbi, he breathed a sigh of relief.  Apparently he has been dreading broaching this subject with me, and this allowed us both to speak freely. This is it, I take this sabbatical or I ride this into the ground.

DETAILS AT THE END OF THE THREAD!  LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE AROUND FOR HOSTING AGAIN THIS SPRING!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:38:05 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JonW

Re: Turkey Camp 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:53:27 pm »
JW it sounds like you have thought this over well and know what you need to do. I pray that you look forward and I know that you will do all you possibly can. God bless your efforts and I hope you find your "new" calling.

Jon W

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:56:00 pm »
JW,
In my life I have found that when faced with hard times and hard decisions Things have always worked out for the better, no matter what may come,trust your gut, trust in your decisions.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:18 pm »
Good luck JW! Prayers sent your way 🙏... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 12:23:46 am »
Good Luck JW! Here if you need!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:37:52 am »
Good luck JW, My Thoughts and prayers are with you, I know you love and believe in what you have been doing but you have to take care of yourself our you will be no good to anyone. ;) Wise choice I think. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:55:47 am »
As said before, trust that gut feeling. Thoughts and Prayers sent Your way Brother ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 07:55:39 am »
JW I believe in prayer and will have you on my list. Good luck with your new future and new opportunity's. I believe God never gives us more than we can handle and he's probably giving you this opportunity to recoup. As much as we would like to think money doesn't matter I'm afraid it does. My neighbor always said " it's no crime to be poor, just awfully, mightily inconvenient. The unseen scars from the constant stress of how to meet you financial obligations can ruin you. Change is always scary but your a big boy you'll do great. We're all routing for ya
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 09:12:47 am »
While change can be a scary unknown more often than not it is a good thing. Remember do or do not there is no try
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 10:40:24 am »
You know how I feel. You will do fine. Plus my house is half way between stops.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »
Well there goes my chance at Turkey Camp.  :'( And I'd been working the wife to let me go.  :D :D

As for you Jdub, Congratz on the the new opportunity. I hope it proves successful for you. And if not, it's always good to know you have a net to fall back into. Sounds exciting and hell, I'm not sure when you're leaving, but if it's this winter, the weather will be better until the heat down there arrives. Prolly burn the skin off a Norwegian down there, but you'll wear a hat and should be ok I believe.

Keep us informed, I'll be excited to hear about it. Maybe you'll make enough money to come back to the Classic too. That'd be awesome.

You go have a gooder in the southwest now!! Yee Haw!! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 09:13:43 pm »
Good luck, John and keep the faith. Happy Hanukkah.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 09:45:37 pm »
It is happening for a reason and I am sure you will do well.  You get a chance head out to the desert and do some arrowhead hunting.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 01:44:55 am »
I am starting to find some peace with this decision. Actually getting antsy to get started, too!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 02:14:35 am »
JW,
It is just like jumping out of an airplane - you are sure the parachute will open, but you also have a reserve 'chute.  Sounds like a real neat opportunity.  Mazel tov!!!   These moves don't come without a lot of thought, but they work out more often than not.  Stay on the net - us newbies and some oldies will need your expertise and help.  Btw, the last time we were in Yuma in June, it was 107 at about 1300 hours:).  At least it was summer!  Down there folks  don't shoot the rattlesnakes, they just steal their canteens. Good luck and our best to you.  Will send a PM.
Hawkdancer & Little Fiddle Woman
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry