Author Topic: Flint ridge Ohio stone  (Read 1960 times)

Offline paulc

Flint ridge Ohio stone
« on: December 24, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »
So I'm going Monday morning to dig for the firSt time some flint here in OH. Ive never dug stone, brand new to knapping. So I have no idea how to tell good stone from not good stone. Anyone have advice for newb first time digging flint?

Thanks, Paul

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Flint ridge Ohio stone
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:13:20 am »
Recognizing good rock takes a lot of practice. About the simplest test or method of evaluation I can suggest is to knock a corner off the piece and see how it flakes or crushes. If it flakes, it may be workable. The smoother the surface left by the flake detachment, the better the stone. When you knock a flake off, if the new surface is grainy, most likely it is not too friendly to knapping. If it is smooth, it probably has potential. Beyond that, some rock seems to flake OK, but takes a tremendous amount of force to pop the flakes off, or the flakes come off leaving a gritty surface. Some such rocks need to be cooked to become primo material. There is a lot to evaluating rock.

WA

Offline turbo

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:25:19 am »
Yeah, read what he posted a couple times, good advice. The short is, for the most part, if it has a lot of cracks leave it alone. If it looks homogenous take test flakes (I like to dispose of those to not confuse the archaeological record, but that's me) and realize that while some Flint Ridge can be worked raw, it takes heat about 600 degrees and above to heat properly. That's more than a turkey roaster can do.

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 11:08:17 am »
Thanks! Enjoy your holiday.  Paul

Offline Orrum

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
Witch out on Nethers for layers that narrow to nothing and go every which way. Also if it glakes and leaves black dust all over your hand it usually doesn't do any good to get good flaking.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.