Author Topic: a nudder clovis and preform  (Read 4128 times)

Offline 1442

a nudder clovis and preform
« on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:09 am »
I looked on lithics casting lab and saw them clovis preforms like bifaces with overshot flakes and that's what I was gonna try to make tonight.
Well! it didn't work out so well.
The first attempt just wasn't working and I couldn't get overshots so I just called it a preform and quit on it.
The second attempt was going real well and I had big flake scars spanning most of the width and a few big overshot scars covering most of both faces. I needed one moe across the base and man did it turn out to be a doosy. Instead of going straight across, it fanned out up towards the tip and took off a good portion of the far edge, and left an awfull divet too.
After that I kinda changed my direction and just went for what I could get after straightening out the damage.
I missed the second flute again and had to settle for a weird double flute attempt on the second side.
I'll probably come back and touch up the shape with pressure and try to get it in line with the good flute a lil better.

Offline 1442

Re: a nudder clovis and preform
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 03:52:16 am »
here's few process pics o the clovis

Offline 1442

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 03:57:46 am »
mo processes

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 03:59:11 am »
mo

Offline 1442

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 04:03:50 am »
And a side profile
I hit the flues indirect with a 3/8 copper rod under the knee with te point wraped in leather wih tip pressing into leg and preload some pressure into the rod before te strike.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 07:57:34 am »
You use that thick copper rod for your fluting?  You flake your performs with that tool?  Very cool 1442.
1’—>1’

Offline neuse

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:31:45 am »
That is some good stuff.
I wish you lived closer, I would really like to pick up a couple pointers.
Thanks for the pictures.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:49:02 am »
Sweet!  I like it.
Northern Ute

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 11:53:04 am »
Very nice

Offline 1442

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 01:08:37 pm »
Thanks for the comments
Parnell, I use the rod for fluting and some reduction too. I rely on the rod when I'm not feeling too accurate with direct percussion, and I'll use it to clean up behind the bopper a lot of times, and I have made points with nuttin but the rod.
The rod is the only indirect tool I have but I sure need to make some smaller ones and learn to use them too. I think a smaller setup would work circles around this big rod at finishing or reducing smaller rocks.
My accuracy is lacking with it but I prefer direct percussion over indirect on anything and I always use it when I can.
I did this whole clovis with direct percussion and some pressure flaking except for the flutes and I would do the flutes direct too if I thought I could hit the nipple in the center. I think so anyway, because in the past I've gotten just about the same results with direct percussion as with indirect. The thing that is making my flutes better now is the preparation of the nipple no doubt.
Preform shape is playing a role too in the flutes doing better probably.

Neuse, I'd love to sit and knap with you sometime. I just flat out love to knap.

God bless! and MERRY CHRISTMAS! 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 04:57:43 pm by 1442 »

Offline turbo

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 08:27:04 am »
Nicely done and thanks for the pics! Those copper platforms really need to be stout.

Offline 1442

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 07:52:38 pm »
thanks turbo
I have always struggled to get a good flute and have started isolating the platform a little more and grinding it flat as a flitter.
I have trouble holding the point flat 90 degrees to the force of the rod and my flutes are off center for that reason I think, and the second flute , I don't know. I usually have to do a double and it just don't turn out the same for some reason.
I'll keep trying

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 09:41:32 pm »
Thanks for the step by step, nicely done. I like seeing how others accomplish the same thing but with different tools and techniques.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline turbo

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 04:00:26 am »
thanks turbo
I have always struggled to get a good flute and have started isolating the platform a little more and grinding it flat as a flitter.
I have trouble holding the point flat 90 degrees to the force of the rod and my flutes are off center for that reason I think, and the second flute , I don't know. I usually have to do a double and it just don't turn out the same for some reason.
I'll keep trying

You're welcome, awesome work you've been doing. I hear what you're saying, I know support is tricky especially for indirect fluting. A lot of the originals had multiple flutes so don't worry about that part. Looks authentic.

Offline 1442

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 04:48:50 am »
You're welcome Mullet.
I like taking pics when I knap. I think it helps me slow down and do better.
Simple process pics like that have been a huge help to me learning to knap, and I hope that  what I post might help some one  a little bit.