Author Topic: Speed and Distance Testing a Plains Indian Horse Bow  (Read 5317 times)

Offline ryddragyn

Speed and Distance Testing a Plains Indian Horse Bow
« on: December 24, 2016, 10:24:47 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K39mTATLShs

This is a sinew-backed ash Plains-style bow, 46.5" long, 41#@20". It was made by Bill Vonderhey in the 1990's. I tested it for speed and distance with the arrows I had available at the time. I've gotten some variable opinions on the tiller of the bow. I'm drawing it as far as I feel comfortable.

Offline paulsemp

Re: Speed and Distance Testing a Plains Indian Horse Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 01:18:36 am »
I am certainly not one that knows much about speed or distance. Last year was out in Michigan with a couple of buddies on this site and my 43-pound Osage bow with poor rings and Rawhide back shot a 500 grain Arrow around 175 plus yards. Form will certainly play a big difference in the numbers you get on speed or distance. As for the tiller I personally think a lot more of the bow should be working. It seems at least half the length of the bow is almost dead flat when you're pulling a back in the middle. I think at full draw that handle should definitely be opening up and bending with the rest about to give you  full potential

Offline ryddragyn

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:03:06 am »
One comment (on another site) said this:

"A bow with a width taper like that actually should look a little stiff in the inner limbs it just looks funny to people that haven't made that particular style of bow. I tried making several reproduction plains and eastern woodlands bows and quickly found out that if you tiller them to arc full circle you end up more prone to set, handshock, and low cast. Tillering like above will make it look like it took set towards the tips but it won't hamper performance like set near the handle will."

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »
your comment (quote) from another site is way to general and not at all within my experience. A 46" plains bow is capable of way more than 20" of draw....especially when backed, and that is even when the draw weights are in excess of 65-70 pounds.

Each self bow or sinew backed bow are unique unto themselves and general digs about set, handshock, and performance are simply not accurate of this type of bow. Even the Eastern woodland short self bows dont fit the general description you quote.

I have made more than a few of these types.

rich

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 06:34:31 pm »
thank you for sharing,,
the bow was probably designed to shoot at 23 or 24 inches of draw,,
that would put you 48 ish,, maybe a little more if the bow is stacking a bit,,
the power stroke at 23 or 24  would have much better cast,, if the bow had been shot at that 24 inch draw before,,, it now would put it at real disadvantage shooting it at 20 inches,, it would just not shoot well,,( that may be why the cast seems a little slow)
you would be getting about ,,,, 150 fps with 500 grain arrow at 24 inches maybe more depending on how much reflex the bow is holding unbraced,,with the lighter arrow you had, it will really be zipping,,
most guys that make sinew bows ,, design them to draw half the bows length,, and some further,,

as far as the appearane of the tiller,, hard to tell without seeing the bow unbraced,,
but one thing is for sure,, if the bow is a bit whip tillered,, it may not be shooting its full potential,, or if the tiller does not match the design or lenth of the bow,, it may or will not shoot as well as it could with a different full draw profile,, :)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:48:46 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline ryddragyn

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 07:04:05 pm »
If it helps, I have a brief look at the unbraced profile in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPveB8tPtvI

Bill Vonderhey (the bowyer) is deceased, so unfortunately I cannot ask him the draw length he designed it for. I have no doubt it can handle a longer draw, but I am taking it to 20" out of an abundance of caution. I've had short sinewed bows blow up on me before, not anxious to repeat the experience.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:00:29 pm »
I understand your caution,, just saying most sinew bows are drawn a bit further, it takes a bit to get the sinew working,,
of course do what you feel comfortable with,, just wanted to share some info with you,,  :)