Author Topic: Something from vacation  (Read 2363 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Something from vacation
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:45:52 am »
My grandkids are always collecting rocks for grandpa to make arrowheads with. Of course 90 percent aren't knapable but when they got back from vacation this fall they gave grandpa this bag of "rocks".
It's actually slag or something from Bay Furnace they found on the beach. Not the nicest shaped chunks to start with but really nice material would like to find a 50 lb chunk of this stuff to pound on for awhile. Not my prettiest point but considering what I started with I was pretty happy with the outcome
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Something from vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 11:36:48 am »
I would certainly hate to have that presented to my ribcage!  Looks as if it may be pretty danged serviceable!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:58:40 pm »
JW this stuff is pretty neat material. It's kinda like glass but seems much stronger and doesn't crush as easy. You actually have to hit it pretty hard to get a flake. This point already drew a quite a bit of blood. I got more sharp sliver flakes with this than anything I ever worked before. I'm guessing Jeb knows what this stuff is.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:33:37 pm »
I have some slag from an E. TX pipe foundry. That stuff is wicked tough. It's not even prone to break when dropped. The biggest problem with it is that enough force to tear a flake off is often enough to shatter the whole thing. I work it only when I am needing a big challenge. The points taken from it look pretty good and would work very well in the wild world.

WA

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:22:08 pm »
Yep, furnace slag glass. Nice color in that turkey tail. :)
Look for air bubbles. Nice point BJ.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:56:34 pm »
you did a good job on it
the point looks good and the material is interesting