Author Topic: 20ga flintlock build  (Read 13880 times)

Offline cryo-magnon-Eric Parker

Re: 20ga flintlock build
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:09:47 am »
Eric, I appreciate the advice and the pictures! Do not think it is unwanted. I really dont know very much of what I am doing on this build. Two good friends (nclonghunter and pawtrap) have helped me alot. As well as reading your posts. Freehanding the butt plate without center lines was not a good idea at all. I definitely should have laid it out better. I've learned in this build so far I need to slow down more and I need better lighting in my shop.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 01:55:15 pm »
With a butt plate you want it completely filed to the final dimensions before you inlet it, the base flat with a slight draft cut in the edges, even from side to side in the lay out.

I like that you forged the butt plate, looks good, but I would have filed out all the dents and made it really slick. Next I would have drawn a paper template of the exact finished shape and glued it on the buttplate to file it down to be perfectly shaped and even side to side.

I did this on the side plate on my squirrel rifle so I could cut it out precisely.

Are using a dremel tool? Not good on a build, it makes your work sloppy, even mine if I am not careful and I was once a power duck decoy carver that did very fine detail work with a dremel.   

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 02:02:34 pm »
Another thing; do you have a pattern you are following? I have found the full sized plans you can buy are well worth the $7 you spend on them. You can't follow them exactly but they give you an idea of where to remove wood and how to shape things.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:07 pm »
The paper template is a great idea. I didn't think of that. I used a dremel some but switched to hand files pretty quick. At the moment ive been relying on a couple friends for advice and help and recently borrowed a 20ga that im using for reference. It was built from more of a kit gun. I think I'll go ahead and order the plans you recommend.  Especially since i have alot of work still left to do.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »
I have used a Dremel, too.  And while I have not had the experience of Eric chewing blocks of wood into ducks, I have taken the tool to hawk, falcon, and owl beaks to trim and reshape them when they are overgrown! 

I am much more comfortable doing that work on a gunstock with hand tools now and will leave the rotary tool alone.  However, with the birds, I want it done and done quick to reduce stress and limit the amount of trust I am destroying by manhandling them, so Dremel it is!

Take your time, Cryo!  Don't let us pressure you into hurrying.  Enjoy the process.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:06 pm »
Eric, I think the blueprint of the gun is an excellent idea. I believe you can get them from Track of the Wolf. Maybe Eric Krewson can recommend another place or two to search. I also believe the pattern you want is a  smooth-bore, I think it is the French type D trade gun.

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 11:18:15 pm »
I couldn't find the plans for a French type D trade gun, only found plans for a French the fusil de chasse, English fowler and a North East trade gun.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 08:56:00 am »
Thanks for looking Eric