Author Topic: Glueing a handle on a stave  (Read 5320 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Glueing a handle on a stave
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:41:23 pm »
I'm working on this HHB that is a really nice stave except for the handle. It had a nasty knot that took a chunk out of fade area so I decided to remove the wood to where I still had a slight bit of fade and good wood in it. I filled missing parts of knot with sanding dust from some cherry and black walnut and really thin super glue. I glued my cherry and black walnut together with TB2. I'm wondering what to use to glue this block to bow. I have 5 min epoxy, or TB2. I was thinking TB2 but not sure with that dust and super glue. The fellow that I'm making it for wants to be able to shoot it right or left handed so I'm thinking a narrow deep handle. Any suggestions appreciated I'm almost ready to glue
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: Glueing a handle on a stave
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 02:57:32 pm »
I like smooth on epoxy but with what you're u have I would use the 5 min epoxy. But would rough up the middle of each piece and leave the out side edges smooth for good fit up.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:26:45 pm »
Make sure you feather the handle block out in the fades good.  You don't want it to pop off the first time it's shot
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 03:31:20 pm »
Osage it's where it's not bend and my plan is to keep it that way. I've got it glued on think I'm gonna spend the next couple hours in the woods only a couple hours of our season left
Bjrogg

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:32:09 pm »
BJ you can build it up with leather, it looks really good once it is all finished. Don't use 5 min epoxy no matter what, tb2 will work or get some slower set epoxy if you have too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 04:24:54 am »
5 minute epoxy is pretty poor strength stuff. Don't use it! TB2 is much better. Just make 100% sure your surfaces mate perfectly.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 04:47:13 am »
Sorry Bubby and Mike, I already glueded it on with 5 min epoxy. I suppose I could try to wack it off with a hammer or something if it pops off start over if it stays leave it.
Bubby my plan is this. I've glued this oversized block on handle. The person I'm making it for shoots both right and left handed. I thought I'd rasp it down narrow after the fades but deep so it was as close to string as I can get it from both sides of handle and as close to the same on both sides as I can get it. Not cutting arrow shelf just wrap handle build it up to shoot off either side.
Thanks for reply guess I should have waited to glue it on here's what I got so far.
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 09:15:04 am »
I would be real surprised if your handle stays on with 5 minute epoxy, been there, done that.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:59 am »
I don't see your narrowing the handle for ambidextrous shooting being a viable option.  Maybe if you cut the block off and re-glue it with better Epoxy.  Still you'll be crowding a lot of stress into a condensed area.

Better to have a longer fade for a bow like that so that any movement is well away from the narrow and/or glued part.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
Thanks for the in replies guys. I my have to start over on this handle maybe even make this bow for someone else. I did have it clamped in vice and whacked handle with hammer several times it seems to be well glued but I'm sure you guys know way more about this than I do.
Pat by narrow I'm thinking maybe 3/4" wide handle where arrow would rest and as close to center of string as possible. That would if everything went perfect be 3/8" off center shot both ways. However this probably isn't the best handle to try this with. The bow still needs to go on a diet it is still very heavy and handle is not shaped at all yet I usually shape handle last thing so I can clamp it in vice for working on rest of bow. Sure wish I'd have waited to glue it for more info now. I know what your saying about the longer fade and I might scrap the idea of this one going ambidextrous as it wasn't in my original plan. Thanks again everyone all info appreciated
Bjrogg

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 11:37:23 am »
Well you have it on may as well give it a go bj😉 ya never know you just might get lucky🙏
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 01:39:00 pm »
I guess right now that's what I'm thinking to Bubby. I think this bow might go to someone else though. I really think it will work better for a right hander but we'll see what happens when I come to that bridge. Thanks again everyone
Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 04:10:36 pm »
Well you guys where right as usual😊. On my noon hour today I clamped bow in vice by block I glued on and started rasping towards end of limb and it popped off. I think the good news is I had it on tillering tree up to 55lbs and it was good there so hopefully if I glue it with the right glue next time it will work. Also now I don't have to cut it off.  It might have been 5min epoxy but it was still soft after 20 hours in between the block. I scraped,filed, sanded surface now should I use TB2 or something else. If something else what and where can I get it
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 08:07:15 pm »
Glue on two 1/8" thick strips first and then the bulk of your handle, it will stay on for sure that way.

If there is any bending near the handle the thin shims will bend and not pop off.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
Ok thanks a bunch Eric, that makes perfect sense to me now. Would it be ok to use TB2 or something else?
Bjrogg