Author Topic: 20th Tennessee Classic  (Read 69791 times)

Offline Red Arrow

Re: 20th Tennessee Classic
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2017, 10:30:43 pm »
Thanks
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2017, 10:31:18 pm »
It's definitely worth the drive
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2017, 10:32:22 pm »
Get on youtube and look up Tennessee Classic.  There are a few videos that will give you an idea on what it's like.

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2017, 10:41:52 pm »
Ok. I'll check em out. Thanks
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:14 am »
Hope you can make it Red Arrow, I think you will enjoy it. :)Where are you from ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2017, 07:34:36 am »
Hi guys. I'm new here so this is the first I've heard of this. I don't know of any primitive shoots in my area but this one is only a few hours drive south of me so I'll probably try to make it to see what it's like. I'm sure it'll be a great time. Is there somewhere I can get more info though?

Red I got into primitive archery about three years ago, and I got lucky enough that my first shoot I went to at a local club, there were a few guys there who mentioned the classic.

So there I was, couple years ago, signing up for the PA forums and coming to the Classic thread and asking the exact same question you did.

Here's what it's like. You'll come down early, maybe on a Tuesday or a Wednesday if you can take off work. You'll go down a few backroads and follow the signs and then you'll see the club. A short trip down a gravel road later you're here at Twin Oaks. You'll walk around for a minute not knowing who to ask and eventually you'll find someone in an orange shirt who will direct you to John where you'll pay $20 to enter the selfbow challenge.

From there you'll go set up camp and meet your neighbors. Once you're unpacked, you'll head back to the shop area. Now it's time to find your blank, so you'll look through some osage and hickory staves until you find the one you want, and you'll find a vise and start shaping out a bow.

Now, every night you'll be making food or eating with new friends and neighbors and looking up at the stars and just loving everything about the campground.

The first day will fly by, you haven't even shot the practice range yet! By now it's Thursday and the vendors are setting up in full swing. Have you met Big Jim yet? Cause you'll end up spending money at his place.

You'll shoot the practice range and you'll start to wonder "JUST HOW BIG IS THIS PLACE!?" but that doesn't matter because you've got your bow done on the tillering tree and you're excited and it's Thursday night so it's time for the boil. Everyone in a long line with a bowl in hand and hungry for all kinds of great home cooked food and wild game and sides. Definitely going to sleep with a full stomach.

Now it's Friday and the first day of the actual shoot. You rush to get your bow to the weight you want but don't get overzealous or you'll take off too much weight. You'll get her strung and shooting and then it's time to work on your handle. Everyone will tell you to find Will because he's the handle master.

By now you're good friends with your camp neighbors and you've figured out the perfect time to grab a shower when there's no line and you've already spent half your money on arrows or Pappy Burgers.

Have you met Pappy yet? He's the guy that there's always like five people talking to and saying "thank you for putting on this shoot"

If you haven't found him, he'll find you, don't worry : )

Things are massive by Friday. There's probably 1500 people there shooting and camping and there's a ton of vendor tents and 20 people in the flintknapping pit or gathered around the fire. (OH I FORGOT to mention the fire pit, it's always going and there's always someone around to chat with) Everyone is having a good time and working to finish up their bows.

Speaking of better get that second coat of oil or poly on your bow so it'll dry, cause it's likely going to rain Saturday. (HA!)

Saturday you wake up, get some breakfast, and it's finally time to shoot your bow. You'll take your arrows and head to the practice targets and get her tuned in and ready, and then you'll hit the official range with your score card.

There's some stiff competition in the selfbow challenge from seasoned vets and great shooters alike but maybe you're the one to show them how it's done. I wasn't : )

Saturday night is a big pot luck supper and everyone is welcome. If you're a cook, plan to cook some food to share because it's an easy way to make friends. Grant will tell you that.

Have you met the crew from Buck Hollow yet, or the guys from Michigan? How about Scuba Steve and Bear? They're a hoot.

Did you get a James Parker bow to work on? He makes fantastic stuff. How about a knife? Ever wanted to make your own knife cause you can do that while you're here too.

Man next thing you know it's Sunday and you're packing up and swapping numbers and saying bye and you don't know what you'll do until next year when you can come back.

If you're me, you relentlessly bug Pappy and offer to help clean up and help out on shoots and you show up on off weekends for eight months after the last classic and they invite you to join the club.

So if you show up, I'll be one of the guys in an Orange shirt, and I'll be happy to show you around.

THAT is the Classic.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:11 am »
That's pretty much exactly how my first Classic trip went.  Except joining the club.  I'm to far away for that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:32 am »
Yep, that was it.  A bunch of us PA guys all made our first Classic the same year...and we are still friends  10 or more years later.
 I'll also be wearing an orange tee shirt. I'm not a member but I spend so much time in the bow shop that they gave me one to wear.
 If you can come early you will have a better chance to meet lots of folks. By Friday and Saturday it is so hectic it can be overwhelming.
 I hope you can make it. As I said before you won't regret it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otis

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2017, 07:20:31 pm »
I might have to try and make it to this shoot myself. When is it? Sounds like a good time.

David

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2017, 07:26:49 pm »
Take a look at the very first post......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2017, 10:58:19 pm »
I think I've seen you there before, Dave. Oh yeah, I drank lots of your barley pops.  :G
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2017, 03:57:24 am »
I think you know the way down Dave. :-\ Thanks for the story Little John , I have seen that same thing
played out many times over the years, then some folks like Otis I have to bribe the first time with a Turkey hunt, then you can't seem to get rid of them. :OK
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2017, 09:00:54 am »
Thanks for the 8not and warm welcome. I'll definitely try to be there. What's the situation on bringing an 11 yr old and 14 yr old? Both shoot , but not good. 😀
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2017, 09:08:31 am »
The Classic is very kid friendly.  There is always a group of kids playing in the creek. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2017, 09:24:58 am »
...and there are always parents to call them down if needed.  ;)  If you bring your kids they will make you come back next year too.