Author Topic: Just a preform  (Read 3967 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Just a preform
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:46 am »
I made this preform the other day starting to get the hang of this now I gotta figure out what to make out of it
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Just a preform
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:03:44 am »
You've got a nice preform there. The flakes ran long, and it is pretty thin. Nice work.

WA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:41:50 am »
That looks good!  What's that material?
1’—>1’

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:47:35 am »
Bj, my favorite part of knapping, now is the time to start isolating platforms and start thinning and shaping. ;D ;D Looks real good. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:24:17 pm »
Thanks Chip, I got some pretty nice flakes on this one and managed to avoid those dreaded steps and hinges. I think I can get it a little thinner yet but thought I'd take a picture before I screwed it up.lol.
Thanks Parnell, my cousin bought it online and brought it with him when he came to visit last summer. I'm pretty sure it's Navaculite.
Thanks Outback, your right that's when the lightbulb comes on and I say to myself oh that's what isolating a platform means. I still gotta make myself do it though and remember I'm not just Willy Nilly hitting a rock. Always gotta remember to take my time. If I start to get in a hurry best just to put it down for another day. Only gotta hit it wrong once to really mess stuff up. Thanks for looking
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 01:46:34 pm »
You have come a long way in a short time. :)
I see a White Pine ??? No matter, we will know
you screwed up if we don't see the finished product. >:D
You are out on a thin limb for now and it was your call >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 01:53:39 pm »
Thanks Zuma, don't worry if I screw it up I'll post it. Might take me awhile before I pick it up again I've been thinking of making a hawk but I really should do a little research first. That's something I really don't do enough of I just kinda knap what I see in my head and it's full of rooks anyhow
Bjrogg

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 02:35:11 pm »
Nice!!
You got the makings for a great hoe.......
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:39:33 pm »
Thanks NC, I'm sure my wife would just love one of those for the garden. Like I said I really need to do more research on stone tools thanks for the pictures
Bjrogg

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 11:17:14 pm »
Nice preform BJ.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 07:47:55 am »
Thanks Rob didn't even bleed all over this one yet.
Bjrogg

Offline 1442

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »
I think it's reall Andice ish.
Some good thinning flakes from the base would square it up a bit and be ready for notches.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 01:51:08 pm »
Thanks 1442 it really means a lot to me when you guys can see progress. I know Ive still got lots to learn but am gaining the confidence I need to hit that platform and figuring  out how to read the materials to know what angle will run a longer flakes without stepping or hinging.
Bjrogg

Offline 1442

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 02:47:42 pm »
Your welcome.
You got good control looks like and that biface is in perfect condition to continue thinning.
I mean it to. You got everything going very well to this point and it is ready to keep going with very little prep youd be ready to take some more good flakes.
I'd like to be there to point out a couple things then watch you peel some flakes off it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 03:52:14 pm »
Thanks again 1442 I'd love to have a good knapping partner but don't know of any around me. I've watched a lot of YouTube to get this far. I can see some opportunities with this preform for thinning it yet and I'll pick it up another day and really take my time and isolate some good platforms. Who knows maybe we'll sit down together some time and make some chips. Sure would like to get your way sometime and get a bunch of stone.
Bjrogg