Author Topic: So.. where do you get your horn?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline tkdHayk

So.. where do you get your horn?
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:35:26 pm »
I live in Toronto. Where can I buy horn fit for a bow belly?

example: I have a sinew backed, reflexed, recurved oak board and looking for a belly material. Considering bamboo, Fiberglass, or Horn. leaning towards FB due to how easy it is to apply.

http://imgur.com/csOL7aw

http://imgur.com/jVpaNFp

Offline aaron

Re: So.. where do you get your horn?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:49:38 pm »
you should just put this question in your other topic- keep everything together. People will buy bighorn sheep horns and spend hours upon hours preparing it for the bow. - There are some good examples on this forum. When horn bows are built, glueing on the horn is NOT the last step- I'm sure there is a very good reason for this.
This next part is the part you don't want to hear, so navigate away from this page now....

You have put lots of work into the bow, and it looks pretty good as far as tiller, but you have your steps out of order. It will be a great challenge to "save" this bow, and if you use horn, you'll probably triple your time investment and my guess is that it will not work. I recommend that if you MUST continue on this bow, do whatever is quickest- which is to laminate on a wood belly with gap-filling epoxy- this MIGHT work. Now comes the part you really really don't want to hear- if you just want a good bow you can trust, start over. Get a nice piece of osage and make a plain old selfbow. We will help you.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:51:20 pm »
Don't worry about your topic that got moved- it will reappear in another section soon.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:21:18 am »
Aaron is right try gluing an ipe belly to it. Horn won't work, fiberglass is way too stiff and bamboo wouldn't allow you to retouch the tiller.