Author Topic: A question for Yew guys  (Read 3669 times)

Offline willie

A question for Yew guys
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:19 pm »
Can anyone comment on using Yew for a belly in a laminated or composite bow? What has worked for you and what has not worked?

Thanks
Willie

Offline DC

Re: A question for Yew guys
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:10:52 am »
I've made three bamboo backed yew bows, if that counts. It's a great combo.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:18:50 am »
Heartwood is great belly wood. I usually glue in 2"-4" of reflex depending on the type of bow and backing.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:21 am »
DC-
I am curious as to whether you realized any differences in performance over a yew self-bow? Other than the extra work making a laminate, are there any down sides or advantages?

Bryce-
what do you look for in your backing choices?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:36 am »
My #1 choice is Moso bamboo and if you need a slat let me know.

My second choice is maple; and a good maple backing is pretty easy to come by. Straight grain is a must with any backing. 1/8" or so is plenty thick enough. But I like to taper my backing from 1/4" @ the handle to 1/16" @ nock

Can also use hickory and white oak
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:13:41 am »
Yew heartwood makes a great belly, I've done Yew/Boo and Yew/Hickory and Yew/Yew (that's Yew sapwood backing strip from a log that had V thick sapwood put onto a Yew heartwood belly. All worked really well.
I have a secret plan to try Yew /Hazel... but don't tell anyone, I want to be the first to try it ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:21:30 am »
I've made bamboo backed yew d/r bows, and made a couple where I kerfed the outer limb and slid a 12" lam in there so I could bend it into a full recurve during glue up.

I have also made trilams with bamboo and yew, and made one with a bamboo back, yew core, and osage belly. It's a deflex/semi recurve, and likely the best bow I've made.

Bamboo and yew is an awesome combo. I tested 3 bows of identical profile and draw weight... a d/r bamboo backed yew, a bamboo backed osage, and a laminated glass bow with maple lams. The yew bow beat them handily.

I would be sure to trap the limbs as the bamboo can overpower the yew in some instances... say if its limits are pushed otherwise.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 07:06:42 am »
Thanks, Bryce, Del, and DWS

seems like even a softer and lighter wood prefers a stiff backing.

How exactly does one tell if the backing is overpowering the belly?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:27:55 am »
Thanks, Bryce, Del, and DWS

The belly will chrysal...
I've done a heat treated Yew heartwood belly in a D/R shape and then boo backed it... V quick  :)
Del

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 01:09:05 pm »
DC-
I am curious as to whether you realized any differences in performance over a yew self-bow? Other than the extra work making a laminate, are there any down sides or advantages?

The jury is still out on that. My gut says boo/yew is better but so far the chrony says the difference is marginal. But I'm reasonably new at this and I've only made 3 boo/yews. It's a great way to use up yew heartwood offcuts. Splice together some scraps and end up with a primo bow.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:24:49 pm »
DC-

The jury is still out on that. My gut says boo/yew is better but so far the chrony says the difference is marginal. But I'm reasonably new at this and I've only made 3 boo/yews. It's a great way to use up yew heartwood offcuts. Splice together some scraps and end up with a primo bow.
I think the big advantage of boo/Yew is that the back is clean and homogenous so it won't break.
The breakages I've had with Yew have all been the back giving way (usually at a knot or row of pins).
I had some Yew heartwood and wanted to make a boo Yew for a mate of mine, he said he'd rather have yew backed Yew (as I had a slat of Yew sapwood), he wanted a fast ELB with just a hint of R/D. It was a great bow for 2 years when the back gave out >:(.
I made him a new one Boo/Yew this time ::)
Del

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 05:14:51 pm »

There seem to be a few different backings mentioned so far, along with a few recommendations for application, and even some suspicions that there might not be much in way of performance gains, to be had.

Since knowing yew is hard to beat for a belly, perhaps knowing just how much backing to apply is critical to getting good results. Both tapering and trapping proportion the back to belly ratio, and the choice of backing species raises even more possibilities about proportions, if some backings are stiffer than others.

It was a great bow for 2 years when the back gave out >:(.

Could it be that a backing that just barely keeps the back from letting go, is what separates the great from the overpowered or marginal?

"The belly will chrysal"...

yes, of course, a simple answer to a simple question. Allow me to rephrase that....

Is there any way to tell during tillering, whether one should reduce the belly or the back to prevent overstraining the belly?
Does an overpowered design "get to thin" during tillering, or are there other observable effects to guide the tiller along?

I hate to think that laminated bow design is all "try it and see", with so   too many variables to work with on the next try.

And if laminated bow design is only a process of one by one design elimination, what observations can you guys make about the bows that came in with marginal results?
       underweight?
       low early string tension?
       doggy limb action?

thanks again for any comments

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:01 pm »

Yes, BUT!  Before acting on this conclusion outside this particular circumstance, remember that yew, for all its light physical weight, is uncommonly ELASTIC in compression.  Take most other woods of the same physical weight, and use them in the same bow, .....you'd be sorry.

In my experience and reading on forums, ERC and juniper would act much the same, but not most hardwoods in that approximate weight range.  I'm beginning to believe plum might, but....

I have never made

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 05:28:52 pm »

I would be sure to trap the limbs as the bamboo can overpower the yew in some instances... say if its limits are pushed otherwise.

I've never had that experience with yew...
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »
The Boo/Yew bows I've built were  roughly rectangular section limbs. The Boo backing was pertty thin at the edges due to the natural crown, but there was no deliberate trapping of the back.
Del