Author Topic: Board bow question  (Read 5185 times)

Offline hicklife1989

Board bow question
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:21:48 am »
Hello i am wanting to build a board bow as my first bow then try a stave but my main problem is finding a good board thinking of hickory or maple would lowes or home depo (hardware store) be a decent place to get a board
Also would like to make a recurve bow but are there any templates out there for bending the ends ?

Offline RyanY

Re: Board bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:26:17 am »
Hickory or maple would both work well if you can find it. My home depot carries maple and red oak but not hickory. I always like checking for local lumber mills too because they'll generally have a greater selection. I suggest starting out with a bendy handle bow or a standard longbow. Recurve bows can be more finicky to get right and what you really need to get a strong grasp of initially is the tillering process.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
Menards carried a nice selection of various hardwoods, including hickory. Not sure if your state has a store.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:38:19 am »
Hard maple or hickory are your best bet but a good red oak board makes a good bow too. A pyramid bow is great to start with for newbies
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »
A lumberyard may be a better place to find good wood. The Lowe's I went to in SoCal only had red oak, pine, fir, 'poplar' and.. redwood? Still I got a red oak board from there. Planning to make a very long (74"?) paddle/pyramid bow with a 32" draw, 2.5" wide, paper backed, rounded/trapped back. maybe 55lbs ooor 60lbs@31"!!!! I wish. Maybe not. I need to make a heavy bow for strength training...
Hickory should be great for a beginner. Especially if you live somewhere dry. (otherwise it'll work too but may take more set). Hickory can be bad sometimes though. It's best if it's fibrous like on these videos...

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hblcgRzQVW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWoZhelxbg
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:26:23 am by loon »