Author Topic: Sewing rawhide.. Advice needed  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Stoker

Sewing rawhide.. Advice needed
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »
Posted here rather than ML section due to you fella's do all kinds of cool stuff.. Not having worked with rawhide too much.. Normally work with leather.. Took on a little project and wasn't the best.. Tried to build a ball bag for my grandson.. Had some problems with tearing through the holes when it dried ( probaly to close to edge)..                                   I punched 1/16'' holes.. Would it be better to punch holes with an awl or a thonging chiesel ?
Pulling the lace to tight?
All in all I'm reasonably satisfied how it went.. Not a complete disaster.. It will hold 57 32 cal balls..
Have a look at the pic.. Let me know what you think.. Any advice is welcome
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: Sewing rawhide.. Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:22:39 pm »
I do not punch holes. I use an awl. Or I sew with waxed linen with a glovers needle.
Then you can rewet and fill with sand to get it's shape.

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:46 am »
Thanks spotted dog.. Gonna try again.. Have better plan
Thanks Leroy

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
Exactly..The Spotted Dog has it right.I've made a dozen of these.Like to use beef hide of medium thickness.Use an ice pick to poke pre holes with then use a glovers' needle to sew it up wet with artificial sinew full thickness.Then stuff it to the max with good fine sand and let it dry.Make an antler plug and she's done.
Gotta warn ya though...Too thick of hide you can have a problem getting a good enough stretch on it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:21:58 am »
Actually good thick deer hide works the best.Like this.They'll hold a good dozen .54 balls apiece for me.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:42:30 am »
Nice bag, were it me, I would attach the plug to the bag with a piece of sinew, youngsters can lose anything that ain't tied down 😀  We old guys can,too!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »
Nice bags fellas.
Ed, is that nick on your finger from knuckle shootin?  : ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 06:26:37 pm »
Well I quess Stoker has'nt checked my suggestions yet and I'm robbing his thread here but Hawkdancer I see your point and I've got them made like that too.I used to like these little rawhide ball bags to carry in my shooting pouch.Then while loading I use my teeth to hold onto the antler tip..... :)Pour out a ball and short start it.Keep the antler tip in my mouth and jam the antler tip back on ball bag and put it back into the pouch.
Aaron....Actually not.I just split up a hedge log and they usually gotta leave their mark somewhere.Over time though I have been shooting bare knuckled mostly.Even without a bracer too.I suppose sometime the old fletching might get me though.Do need the glove to shoot yet if it's a lot of arrows using FF string yet.I normally used to wear this contraption I made for my bow hand.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:05 am »
Beadman you're right I haven't had time.. Hijack away ;) All about sharing..
Thanks for the pics also.. 11 50 cal balls full up.. 8 works nice.. Be good for the 32.. I'll scale it up for the 50..
Hawkdancer -  the cord.. thought crossed my mind
I cut a coupla pieces the othe night and tried to find time to get it done but no.. But I did find my artificail sinew :)
Thanks Leroy