Author Topic: Tennessee Classic has lost a Brother... Clyde Gaskin  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Otter

Tennessee Classic has lost a Brother... Clyde Gaskin
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:19:41 pm »
I just want to let all who knew and dealed with Clyde that he has passed on...

These are Clyde's last words to his family and friends. He passed quietly and comfortably this aftetnoon at our home in Oklahoma. I know he'll be missed greatly. Bye for now Dad, we love you. Bill & Andrea

If you are reading this,  then my body has died.
It has been a joy to know you and have learned much from you, after all , our Facebook relationship and friendship has not been about me , but rather, it has been  about us.
I'm certain that I'm taking so much more from you than I'm leaving.
I'm leaving this life with so many unanswered  questions,  but I'm leaving without guilt, fear ,
anger,  regret, nor remorse.
This is possible because I've lived one life to it's fullest based on a set of sound principles and beliefs which have been replaced by more sound principles and beliefs as they presented themselves.
I currently believe that I was given a very powerful gift, the absolute freedom to choose for myself in what direction my life goes.
If that is true then God  is not blamed for wherever i end up.
I believe that I am exactly where the sum total of my choices has brought me.
I  believe in planning  (on a daily basis ).
It is not important that I work the plan to its fullest but having a plan prevents me from worrying and indecision about what I'm supposed to be doing next.
Today and so many other days I have LIVED.
That means that I have done the things that I thought I should without regard to what I wanted to do.(If I start a thing wanting to do that thing then I end up doing everything I wanted and getting everything I wanted) .
For the same number of days I've LOVED.
I define that as unconditional sharing,  caring, understanding and forgiving .
I look for the humor in the human existence.
My only rule regarding humor is that it not become an instrument to be used to look good at the expense of others. When it is so easy to edify my brothers and sisters ,why then, would I spend one second of my life trying to destroy thiers ?
One of my daily goals is to be HAPPY.
Happiness is both a choice and the result of
LIVING,  LOVING,  LAUGHING.
I'm hoping this will be enough of me to leave with you .
Some of you do not know what has prompted
this letter from the grave so the Readers digest short version follows.
April 5, 2016 I was diagnosed with Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia type one (high risk)
As I write tonight 01/04/2017 I'm in repid decline.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:34:53 pm by Otter »

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tennessee Classic has lost a Brother... Clyde Gaskin
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
On my very first trip to the Classic I brought my young son with me.  On our walk around the vendor booths we stopped at a booth with leather and other goods.  A friendly gentleman approached us and offered his help.  He was very kind and my son took to him right away.  When we finally walked away to the next vendor I had an armful of leather and my son had a gift from the gentleman.  As we walked around the rest of the weekend my son would often ask if he could go back and talk to the leather guy.  Over the next several years I always looked forward to visiting with Clyde at the Classic and getting another armful of leather.  I watched him talk to other children in the kind way he had talked to my son.  I would see them walk away with a gift and a smile on their face.  My son only met Clyde for 2 days.  That was 6 years ago.  When I return from my Classic trip each year the first thing my son asks is how is the leather guy.  Clyde was a remarkable person.  He has touched more lives than he ever knew. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »
Nice words Clint. I've thought of Clyde several times over the last year. I missed him last year at the Classic and hoped to see him again. I have several things around the house made from leather I got from Clyde. He will be missed and remembered. Thanks for posting this otter. May you all be at peace. I'm going to go sit outside for a few minutes. dpg AHo
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Otter

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:38:05 pm »
I have alot of Clyde's leather and other things as well... Itraded with him ever year I even have a bucket of Flint also... I'm going to miss seeing his big smile.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:57 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear this. I met Clyde the first trip I made to the Classic and looked forward to seeing him every trip after that. He was truly a man that had fun doing what he did and loved teaching the young ones. My wife is going to be very sad when I tell her of Clyde's passing as they were really close and Clyde always had her a bag of his home made Peanut Brittle when we showed up at the Classic.
My he Rest in Peace.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:22:15 pm »
Here is a picture of Clyde and my son.

Here is another picture of Clyde from a past Classic thread.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Otter

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:59 pm »

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:18 pm »
Thank you for posting Otter,
And Thank you for the pictures Clint,
 I was'nt sure who had passed, I never knew his name but I had been in his booth before and made a few purchases, every time I was there I got the feeling that I really like this guy.
After reading what Otter posted I know now that besides liking the guy I really respect him and the way he lived his life and I hope that in a small way, when my time comes to meet my maker I can say I lived up to the spirit of those ideals also.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:53:42 pm »
Sounds like he lived life to the fullest...R.I.P.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:34 pm »
Eddie, I met Clyde about the same time as you and enjoyed seeing him each year at the Classic. I never bought leather from Clyde but looked through his stack each year. Just never found what I needed.  Clyde was a real character and will be missed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 09:08:57 am »
Sorry I double posted this, didn't see this one. Clyde was our very first vendor for the Classic years ago when we only had 50 or 60 people, he  and his sweet wife would set up on the porch. Miss Joanie and I got to know him very well over the years and a better man you won't find. The only Classic he has missed since the first was last year due to his illness. He did come in for the IBO world last year to visit  for a day and it was very good getting to see him as it has turned out for the last time. We will miss him. :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:43:09 am »
Very humbling read.  If only everyone could live and act as Clyde wrote.  Anyone know anything about the bottom photo which shows a Viet Nam ribbon  on some wood.  Was Clyde a Viet Nam veteran or was that some thing he put together for someone.

Offline Otter

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 09:46:24 am »
I know he retired from the Navy ... Very well could have been in Veitnam

Offline Otter

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:51:41 am »

Offline Otter

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:30 am »