Author Topic: Tennessee Classic has lost a Brother... Clyde Gaskin  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Tennessee Classic has lost a Brother... Clyde Gaskin
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 10:08:13 am »
This is very sad news.  Clyde always had a spiritual presence whenever I'd visit with him and made a point of being aware of the energy in his environment.  He certainly was gifted with talking to children.  The medicine bag and points I have that he made will hold a more significant meaning.

My wife Angie will be very sad.  She enjoyed hanging out with Clyde and talking in the tent at The Classic.

Clearly, he lived a very fine life.
1’—>1’

Offline JEB

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 03:28:49 pm »
According to his ribbons on his shirt he was in Viet Nam and a Purple Heart recipient.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 04:36:47 pm »
Sorry to here of Clyde passing. I met Clyde maybe 4 yrs  ago at the classic , Was in the knapping pit giving some informative way of slab knapping, I wasn't into slab knapping and didn,t pay enough attention to his way of doing it. :( Next yr he comes over to the pit and was looking at my narrow entry notching tool and wasn't leaving the pit without it, I had a couple extras so we made a trade, Told me to come over and pick out anything that he had at his vendors tent ;D. I picked up a Vietnam campaign pin and stuck it in my hat and said good trade, still have that pin stuck in my hat, I surly had a great trade  and will always remember Clyde. May your journey be an easy one. So long my friend. I sure did miss seeing him at last yrs. classic. Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 10:20:33 pm »
BTTT
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 06:56:18 am »
I Didn't know him, but it looks to me I missed out. So sorry for your loss.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 11:39:03 am »
Damn.  Just caught this post.  Reading at work, trying to maintain my composure.

I have many fond memories sitting on a 5 gallon pail next to Clyde late, late at night, trying to learn from him how to make points out of rocks.  Memories of time spent at his booth chatting about really, not much of anything important.  Seems that as long as we laughed, that was the important part.  His was the first booth Miss Heather wanted to visit.  She'd always pick up a set of earrings; I'd get some leather.  I'm really going to miss him.

Damn....
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 12:04:20 pm »
After looking at the pictures it just hit me who this was. I only met Mr. Glaskin one time. My son and I were at the IBO Worlds at Twin Oaks when it came a total downpour and storm. MY boy was totally soaked and cold and scared when Mr. Glaskin invited him in for shelter. I remember he gave him a poncho and a necklace. He was so kind to my son, neither of us will forget that brief meeting with this fine gentleman. Sounds like a lot of folks will never forget him. I hope we all have a legacy like that someday.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 08:50:40 pm »
After looking at the pictures it just hit me who this was. I only met Mr. Glaskin one time. My son and I were at the IBO Worlds at Twin Oaks when it came a total downpour and storm. MY boy was totally soaked and cold and scared when Mr. Glaskin invited him in for shelter. I remember he gave him a poncho and a necklace. He was so kind to my son, neither of us will forget that brief meeting with this fine gentleman. Sounds like a lot of folks will never forget him. I hope we all have a legacy like that someday.
Damn.  Just caught this post.  Reading at work, trying to maintain my composure.

I have many fond memories sitting on a 5 gallon pail next to Clyde late, late at night, trying to learn from him how to make points out of rocks.  Memories of time spent at his booth chatting about really, not much of anything important.  Seems that as long as we laughed, that was the important part.  His was the first booth Miss Heather wanted to visit.  She'd always pick up a set of earrings; I'd get some leather.  I'm really going to miss him.

You two covered Clyde exactly how I knew him. Never heard him complain, or say anything negative about anyone or anything except once, about knapping obsidian slabs until I handed him a pad for that showed him a different way of doing it and he tried it. Then, you saw that slow, motion smile of his start to unfold. I gave him my pad, had too. :)

Matt, always Kathie's first stop, also, for his Peanut Brittle and a long visit.

Damn....
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?