Author Topic: Goose & turkey Feathers  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Goose & turkey Feathers
« on: January 12, 2017, 12:43:58 pm »
I have a bunch of goose feathers was just wondering what you guys thought about them for arrows. I know they'll work I just wanted your thought on goose compared to turkey. Has anybody ever used the secondary goose feathers also?

Offline Aaron H

Re: Goose & turkey Feathers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:58 pm »
Personally I like using them.  I have been using Canadian snow goose primaries, and they seem to fly just as good as turkey primaries.  They are not quite as rigid as the turkeys though.  Never used the secondaries

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:27:23 pm »
I ended up making a couple so my feathers wouldn't be too bad in our rain this yr for hunting season. they seemed to fly just as nice. give them a try, I have never tried 2nd's tho. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:38:56 pm »
I've used primaries and secondaries. Like Arron said, they are softer than turkey. I haven't made many so my distinguishing between primaries and secondaries  might be a bit of a crap shoot. Would the softer feathers be quieter?

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:43:33 pm »
I use goose almost exclusively.  I've used turkey but compared to goose I hate it.  Goose primary feathers, with the strong grease line and small margining on the opposite vane are the best possible feathers for long medieval fletchings, and I've used them cut into small 5" parabolic shapes for superb target and flight arrows too. 

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »
I don't have experience with primary vs secondary, but I remember reading somewhere that goose feathers are some of the best, especially in wet weather. I think it had to do with the oils in the feather helping repeal water or something.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:59:21 pm »
I like and use goose feathers. Their water repellent ability helps in wet weather. I not only use the primaries ans secondaries but some of the smaller wing feathers of 4" or bigger for 3 and 4 tangential fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
I use goose feathers a lot.  I use both primaries and secondaries and both hold up well.  I do find that I have a tougher time grinding a good base on goose secondaries though.  I end up throwing a few of them away because of this problem.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 10:14:41 pm »
I've got a few wing feathers the geese land in our fields after we plant in the spring & fall when they touch down there on dangerous ground my dad got a permit to shoot them in our fields I eat the breast & cut the wing feathers off.