Author Topic: Splitting Hickory  (Read 3785 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Splitting Hickory
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »
I have a Hickory log, the bark is still on it and it has been sealed and curing for two years back in Michigan, and have no way (and no one) to split and quarter it. The log is around 70" and perhaps 14"-18" in diameter. Instead of hand-splitting the log, could it be sawed (sawn?) down the middle then sawed (sawn?) into quarters? Easier to ship the staves than the whole log, but would it render the staves useless?
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PatM

Re: Splitting Hickory
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:20:26 pm »
If it is  reasonably straight, sure. The bark on is a concern though.  It will probably be checking and bugs have probably started on it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:32:39 pm »
Two $10 wedges and a 35$ sledge will do it, tightwad :). If it is straight you can kerf it with a skilsaw to make splitting easier.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »
Two $10 wedges and a 35$ sledge will do it, tightwad :). If it is straight you can kerf it with a skilsaw to make splitting easier.

Seems like he means he is where it ain't.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:09:52 pm »

It's at my parents' place. My dad--as a result of age--is unable to.

It's been sprayed to help keep away the bugs.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:48 pm »
Where was this log stored?  How often was it sprayed for bugs?  I left osage logs stored under a porch roof for a month or two.  I sprayed them several times and still had borers in them.  You should find a way to check the condition of your hickory before you ship it.  You don't want to pay to ship firewood.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:41:32 pm »
Where was this log stored?  How often was it sprayed for bugs?  I left osage logs stored under a porch roof for a month or two.  I sprayed them several times and still had borers in them.  You should find a way to check the condition of your hickory before you ship it.  You don't want to pay to ship firewood.

In a covered garage. I sprayed it the first spring and the first summer. My dad sprayed it the next spring and the next summer.

Good reminder about pesky bugs, though.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
I don't know if the borers are as bad in Michigan as they are in Indiana.  I hope its still in good shape for you.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 12:33:14 am »
I have a  sledge and a splitting axe close by.  No wedges, though.  Should be able to find a couple to borrow for the job.  I will check around here.  Need to find a couple of young guys to do the swinging, though:)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 01:50:21 am »
You could make some wooden wedges from some decent wood, start splitting in a natural check/crack on the end of the log if there is any.
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 03:30:42 am »
I don't think wooden wedges are going to up to the task of splitting a 14 -18 inch hickory log!

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15:47 am »
He said he wasn't where the log was and his dad was to old or unable. I have sawed Hickory many times, if the grain is straight there is no problem with sawing it. Now bugs, not much good way to tell without getting the bark off.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bushboy

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 07:49:49 am »
If you have a chain saw you can kerf cut it deeply and save a lot of sweat.i have even cut quarters with the same method.it's a bit hard on the saw though.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 07:53:04 am »
If there is no one to split it I doubt you'll have much more luck getting it sawed.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 09:15:52 am »
I was given a 12" hickory log a few years ago that had sat in a garage, off the floor for 2 years. It was squared off with most of the bark removed and fungi still made it unsuitable bow bows. I sawed staves and backing strips from it and the first backing strip I used cracked across the grain. Even the wood surface had a powdery feel to it.
 With whitewoods it is better,IMO, to get it split at least into quarters so the moisture can start evaporating. It really doesn't take whitewoods long before fungi move in to do their job. Removing the moisture is the best way to prevent fungi.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC