Author Topic: Splitting Hickory  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Splitting Hickory
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 09:18:42 am »
I use a mixed method on big hickory logs; I split it with a chainsaw first into pieces I can split easily with wedges then kerf the splits with a skill saw on a chalk line for straight even staves

This was late summer cut wood and the bark is firmly attached, never again, only spring cut wood in my future.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:14 am »
I don't think wooden wedges are going to up to the task of splitting a 14 -18 inch hickory log!

Wood wedges are awesome.
You cant pretend they start the split in a solid integer wood but if you start with an axe or saw, put some chip of wood in the fissure before removing it and use wood wedges they'll do the job.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 12:40:18 pm »
Had 2 other thoughts 1. Very important to make sure no bugs, borers, etc in the wood before moving it.
2.  There has to be somebody in your dad 's area splitting firewood with a hydraulic splitter that would split it for a nominal fee. Heck of a lot easier than sledge and wedge!   How long is the log?  I have a chain saw as well.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 01:12:08 pm »
I don't think wooden wedges are going to up to the task of splitting a 14 -18 inch hickory log!

Nah, those are just to hold the split open while he retrieves his real wedge.

I want to know who carried an 18" diameter green hickory log into a garage for you.  I want to hire the guy for some other stuff.

On BIG wood like that, I just started kerfing it deeply with a chainsaw, cutting a channel on one side, preferably one section you don't want, several inches deep into the log.  Then I hammer in wedges.  Spreading open a kerf takes a lot less energy than driving the wedge in the first few inches, anyway.  Keep the saw or an axe handy to cut through hangers-on.  Then you'll see that HALF a hickory log is MUCH easier to split than a whole one.

I hope you get some good staves after all the trouble. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:18:19 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 07:46:17 pm »
If the wood is in Michigan, I bet we have someone on here that is close enough to help you out.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 10:51:24 pm »
Hmmm? That is a generous offer. Mid-Michigan, north of the Tri-City area.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 12:33:05 pm »
As Pat said, bacteria has probably made a mess of your wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com