Author Topic: How important is spine for Kids arrows?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline DuBois

How important is spine for Kids arrows?
« on: February 03, 2017, 08:14:53 pm »
Working on some arrows for the kids (cane and osier) and wondering if it is very important at weights around 10-20lbs with a short draw. Handles are narrow and pretty close to center.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: How important is spine for Kids arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:27 pm »
You really can't get spine weights that low, just make the feathers really big to help stabilize the arrow faster. And coincidentally stops the arrow from travelling further and makes them easier to find in the grass!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:31:45 am »
I have made kids arrows from 1/4" poplar dowel rods from Lowes.  You really have to pick through a lot of dowels to find 1/4" ones without any run out.  On my spine tester they show a spine way below 25 pounds.  From a kids bow those lightweight little arrows shoot like a laser.  My wife shoots a lightweight bow as well, she really likes those little arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:56:40 am »
If the kid is just out flinging arrows I wouldn't worry about it but once he(she) gets into shooting then spine is important for consistency. If the arrows don't fly consistently kids get frustrated and loose interest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:33:49 pm »
One of the ladies at the range shoots a 25# bow. She got some 1000 spine(Easton's way) carbon arrows. They look like knitting needles with fletching. Fly like darts though.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »
Like Pat said, to really tune arrow to bow you need constant draw and release. I've seen some kids at Marshall that could shoot good enough to tune some arrows. For just starting I'm thinking get something close and let em fling some at a good sized target. Just try to make it fun but maybe work on form.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise