Author Topic: Weight to draw to length ratio?  (Read 9779 times)

Offline RyanY

Re: Weight to draw to length ratio?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2017, 09:19:15 pm »
For a bendy handle bow I like a minimum of 2x the draw length and for a stiff handled bow I like each limb to equal the draw length. It's possible to go shorter but I don't find it advantageous as much as an exercise in what is possible. If you like a short bow with a longer draw and high weight I think the key is more width and designing for more bend in the inner limb or handle. The width will aid in draw weight and by getting the limbs moving more in the inner limb stack will be reduced since string angle will be more advantageous. But I think the bottom line is try and go as long as you're comfortable with.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2017, 10:02:13 pm »
That does create some very unwieldy bows if you have a long draw-and the longer it is the worse it is.  I can draw 42" with a yumi and mitsugake so these numbers make a massive bow if I use your double for bendy handle.  For the same value I can make a Manchu style with 12" siyahs and achieve the same draw in a 70" ntn bow.  The handle barely moves on that Manchu bow, too.

You guys are making me want to make one now.

Offline bubby

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2017, 10:26:23 pm »
That does create some very unwieldy bows if you have a long draw-and the longer it is the worse it is.  I can draw 42" with a yumi and mitsugake so these numbers make a massive bow if I use your double for bendy handle.  For the same value I can make a Manchu style with 12" siyahs and achieve the same draw in a 70" ntn bow.  The handle barely moves on that Manchu bow, too.

well both of those are designed for longer draws, a yuml is a longer bow and they are both backed wasn't the op about selfbows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline loon

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2017, 10:46:46 pm »

how long is the yumi?

lol it seems like bamboo can take more than most woods..

Offline bubby

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2017, 12:08:50 am »
Bamboo isn't a wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2017, 01:43:15 am »
Hi guys yes sorry in that pic I am probly not bending 25" I couldn't find pics after that. I chopped 5" off each end and re tillers because of the lower limb hinge. But thank you guys for all the input. I realize I was pushing limits with 58" for 30" draw I'll try a few at 66-62"