Author Topic: Catalpa as shaft material?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline JonW

Catalpa as shaft material?
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
I was reading an old chinese book about archery, specifically arrow shaft material. The author spoke of catalpa being a sought after shaft material. Any experience or knowledge of this?

Offline EdwardS

Re: Catalpa as shaft material?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
I know catalpa will grow beautifully straight stickers if you coppice it.  I've read the same, just not gotten my hands on it to try out.  My Manchu shafts are leopardwood, so I just stuck to them since they were so expensive.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 07:12:52 pm »
I know catalpa would be at least as lightweight as spruce.Mostly target shooting shafts I imagine.Just wonder about the spine.I don't think it smells too good working with it...lol.Then too it's a matter of how tough it is.
What were the chinese shooting with it?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:16:22 am »
Ed the book was a chinese military manual. The author was comparing wood vs bamboo. His assesment was that people in the north used wood and people in the south used bamboo. Sounds a lot like the US lol! He offered his three favorite wood shaft materials in order. Birch, catalpa, and willow. I see the wheels turning in your head now Ed. Lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:57:24 am »
Geeze catalpas grow around here.I'll have to check it out at the Amish sawmill near me.Split and sucker sucker shafts.If that's a military manual I suppose their shooting people maybe?????or just practicing to shoot people....lol.Regardless of it's intention it's an arrow shaft.
It's good to explore these things.I've got shafts here from walnut that are'nt seen used much anywhere that I would put broadheads on they are that dependable going in the 10 ring and are dead on clout shooting also.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 11:20:41 am »
Let me know if you try it Ed. We have a big one out front that is gonna get it from the power company at some point. I can't believe they have let it go this long!

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:03 pm »
Take it first.  Power company here tears them to pieces felling them.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 03:06:35 pm »
JonW...Things are slow here yet making shavings and dust of any kind for anything but will keep it in mind.I think Gun Doc made a bow from it once.
BowEd
Ed