Author Topic: Hand sewing canvas  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Dictionary

Hand sewing canvas
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »
I've got some scraps of medium grade canvas lying around that I'm wanting to make a simple back quiver out of for some target shooting. I've sewed just a little in the past so I know how to do a basic straight stitch, but I've never done anything heavy like canvas. Do I have to punch holes first with an awl and then thread the needle through? Any idea what size needle I'd need? Would there be any kind of special stitch required?

Thanks for any input. I typically just bang my head up against the wall a number of times before I figure things out. Figured this time I might as well ask someone who knows more than I do so I can avoid wasting money on things I may not need.

Dic
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hand sewing canvas
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:59 pm »
I'm not good at sewing or a leather guy but when I do play and want to keep it simple. I punch all of the holes and whip stitch them. If I want more strength, I just reverse it and double up.

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 10:25:45 am »
For leather work I use a diamond chisel and saddle stitching (2 needles working in opposite direction). I've not worked with canvas, the chisel might cause an issue though since it cuts through. I'd probably use a sewing awl. You can get them for pretty cheap and it's pretty easy to do.
Trevor

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:26:00 am »
You can buy a set of "Glover's Needles"(I think that what's they are called) from Wally World and other big box stores. It has a few different needles some hooked, some straight but one of these needles should help you sew the canvas. You will probably need some sort of a thimble or palm pad to push the needles through the canvas.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 04:25:24 pm »
Not knowing your canvas.. I've sed my speedy stitcher to repair my canvas tent
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 07:25:20 pm »
The "speedy stitcher is good, for a quiver though, I would probably use an awl and the gloves needles with a very heavy thread, or artificial sinew and some sort of double whip stitch, either over and back or "back one, over two."
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry