Author Topic: I need cooking advice!  (Read 4577 times)

Offline paulc

Re: I need cooking advice!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:56:02 pm »
I actually did some abo heat (bag of charcoal) treating over the last several days and was going to give folks a report back.  Overall I think Flint Ridge stuff needs to be REALLY hot.  I did a total of 4 different batches with some change seen in some stones and no change at all in a lot of the stone.  The last batch I did had probably the best results and I had too much stone for one batch so I did a double layer of stone with a lot of the stone only covered by perhaps an inch of sand.  Some humps were sticking out of the sand even.  I will try to get some picks up later in the week...some stone clearly has that great waxy sheen that I have seen in so many of y'alls pics.  But a lot didn't change much.  So a lot of it does not break cleanly still and the stone that shows a clear change in texture still won't flake well.  I am guessing since virtually all of this stuff had been laying on the surface when I collected it there is a good bit of freeze/frost damage to some of it...?  The stuff that doesn't break along 90 degree lines will flake a bit but the larger flakes tend to be "wavy" and dip up and down through the stone.  And I can't get any flakes to drive beyond perhaps 1/2" unless I simply just shatter the stone completely.  I have a lot of flakes that will make arrow points but they will be crude to say the least. They will function though. 

Whoever I get in the point exchange, I hope to send you a couple crude points and some pieces of this rock I have been working with so you can wack some of it and maybe you could report back to me if my issues are more me or more the rock :)

I'll try to get some pics up later.  Paul

Offline paulc

Re: I need cooking advice!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 12:27:50 pm »
https://youtu.be/8xROCs9m63U

OK everyone, the link above is to a YouTube video I just put up. I thought that might be more efficent than me taking some pictures and typing a bunch of text. If you see anything in it and have some advice I'd love to hear it.

Thanks, Paul