Author Topic: my son's first go with a front stuffer  (Read 10124 times)

Offline Josh B

my son's first go with a front stuffer
« on: January 14, 2017, 04:54:19 pm »
After a few hours of .22 practice today, my son decided he was ready to try the smokepole out.  It's a CVA Varmint 32 cal. that I have two stocks for.  One regular length, one that is cut down to youth size.  I set it up on the youth stock and we went out back to make some smoke.  After a full box of .310 balls and most of the caps that I had brought out with us, it was pretty clear that he was hooked.  Lol!  The first pic is him preparing to fire.  The second pic is after a shot and waiting for the smoke to clear enough to see where he hit.  We had a good time despite the cold and wind.  Thanks for looking!  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

Re: my son's first go with a front stuffer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:05:40 pm »
Looks like he is a natural.  Next season I bet you post a picture of him with that gun laying across a deer.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:13:45 pm »
Thanks Clint!  Maybe a few rabbits and squirrels, but we'll wait until he can handle at least a .45 before we go after deer.  Josh

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:49:02 pm »
You and he will have fun squirrel hunting with that.......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:25:04 pm »
Looks like he's having fun Josh.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:39:09 pm »
I love it, Josh. My Grandson,(16) asked me a few weeks ago if I could show him and one of his friends how to shoot and care for a muzzle loading pistol his friend got. We'll be learning how to cast balls this weekend.

It's fun to pass this stuff on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:42:08 pm »
I wish you were my Dad, Josh. Are you up for an adoption?  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:50:41 am »
Good job Josh ! The Tree Rats better look out - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:12 pm »
I enjoyed the comments fellas!  We were hoping to give the tree rats the what for after church today, but the ice storm finally found its way here last night.  So we are staying pretty close to the fire today.  Maybe next time I get home.  Oddly enough, I'm headed for Lancaster PA tomorrow.  Any muzzleloader industry museums or anything of that sort I should see if I get a little time?  Josh

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »
We will be looking for you at the Buckhorn Skinners  "Squirrel Shoot", last weekend of April, Masonville, CO and or the NMLRA Colorado Territorials in Jun :) :).  Good to see the youngsters getting into the game!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 04:30:36 pm »
Check to see if your county's 4H shooting sports has a muzzleloader program.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 07:28:38 pm »
We will be looking for you at the Buckhorn Skinners  "Squirrel Shoot", last weekend of April, Masonville, CO and or the NMLRA Colorado Territorials in Jun :) :).  Good to see the youngsters getting into the game!
Hawkdancer

You never know.   I'm closer to the eastern side of KS, but I've made it to friendship a couple times.  Colorado isn't out of the realm of possibilities.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 07:35:27 pm »
Check to see if your county's 4H shooting sports has a muzzleloader program.

We don't have one yet, but I've been working on it for a few years.  The problem is volunteers to coach as it always is.  If I can get a couple volunteers to replace me as the archery coach and be reliable, I would do it myself.  So far, I've been lucky to get any help just getting the kids cued up with the right equipment before their turn on the archery line.  I haven't given up though!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »
I love it, Josh. My Grandson,(16) asked me a few weeks ago if I could show him and one of his friends how to shoot and care for a muzzle loading pistol his friend got. We'll be learning how to cast balls this weekend.

It's fun to pass this stuff on.

Yes it is!  I have a little .45 cal Philadelphia deringer that my son keeps hounding me to teach him to shoot.  I keep putting him off cause I don't think he's quite strong enough yet.  I'll probably have to relent and load it light for him.  I think he's gonna be a pistol man like his grampa.  I need to dig out my casting equipment as well.  Is the pistol you're talking about a cap and ball revolver?  Josh

Offline Stoker

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 01:11:11 pm »
Cool stuff.. My grandson comes to the shoots with us and shoots a 32.. He likes to hold it on the wrong side too ::) He just turned 15 so I'm on the lookout for a 50cal for him.. It matches my other stuff.. Good times
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano