Author Topic: Dalton & Hardaway  (Read 8836 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Dalton & Hardaway
« on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:36 pm »
Collected some rhyolite this weekend so I made a couple points. This board has been sleeping for a while. Where did ALL the ABO knappers go?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Dalton & Hardaway
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 07:29:19 pm »
Lyman, really liking the Dalton, Ya got there own site and disappeared  :o  Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:35:57 pm »
There own site? Well good for them.
It's a shame what they did to this forum,
Too bad.
Awesome native points Lymann
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:35:40 am »
Beautiful job Lyman! You sure got that rhyolite whipped.
One thing leads to another...

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:28:29 am »
There own site? Well good for them.
It's a shame what they did to this forum,
Too bad.
Awesome native points Lymann
Zuma

Bob is referring to the previous discussion that led to the creation of this "Abo" sister page. Many of their strongest voices haven't been around in awhile. I just spoke to Bybee a couple days ago and he's been dealing with some unexpected tragedies. He's fine, just busy. I'm sure it's the same with many of them. Life has a way of gettin in the way.

Nice work on that man rock, Lyman!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:38:38 am »
Moderators and knappers, I want to apologise for even saying anything about last yrs  problem. I am sorry for even mentioning it. Let's just drop it right here before it turns South. Let me start over with this . Lyman , nice job on the rhyolite, I especially like the Dalton. Bob

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:02:41 am »
looks real good.
I bought a set of antlers to cut up and make some tools, but I'm scared to do it.
I'm going to do it, so I can make a post here in this forum. I always wanted to try abo knapping and y'all inspire me big time,
I just been scared. :-[

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 02:21:48 pm »
Thanks for the response. That rhyolite is hard to work. Seems like the force used to flake it also puts you at the edge of snapping it. It is the challenge I like!

1442, you have the knowledge of the stone so learning to use stone and bone to break the stone will be much easier. Trying to learn the stone and how to knap at the same time is a bigger challenge. I have come to the decision that using punches is not so much "knapping" as it is "stone cutting". Similar to cutting diamonds. I think "knapping" came from the rifle flint makers that used a type of hammer to shape the gun flints( may be wrong about that) but using punches is a different technique.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 01:13:51 am »
Got to stand with 1442, got the antlers but need to make the tools.  I'm not so familiar with the rock, though.  Did a bit of knapping many years ago, but the tools filtered way - life gets in the way!  I do stuff powder down a smoke pole, but need to learn to reshape not the flints.  I got one of them " cute little hammers", but no round tuit.  NC real nice work, too bad you aren't closer!  I need to know how to shape the antlers for working the stone.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 10:41:18 pm »
They both look nice.