Author Topic: Unibond problem  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Unibond problem
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 08:59:52 am »
Contact Unibond tech support. Number is probably on the can. If not good they should replace it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 09:11:01 am »
I purchased some from three rivers and it was the same way, it came out of the can in one  big slime ball.   I  let them know  about it and purchased some from Nelsons. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:29 am »
Mine became that way after about a year, even in the fridge. I don't believe they date stamp their cans? They should. That stuff could sit on the rack for years before it sells.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:30 am »
I bought mine from 3vrivers as well. Not to bash on themy. I like 3 rivers and plan to call them today. I'm sure they will reimburse me

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:40 am »
If they let you return it, which I question. Their return policy is just short of rotten. I would buy Smooth On rather. They will just send another bad can if you try UB800 again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 10:30:01 am »
Unibond shouldn't have been hurt by freezing.  Unless, maybe, it was repeatedly froze and thawed and exposed to big temp swings.  I keep mine in the fridge and have had no issues.  I rarely put any in the freezer but I know several guys that do with no problem.  I would contact Nelson directly to try to solve the issue.

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 02:54:08 am »
Talked to Terry from The Nocking Point over the summer at our Rendezvous as I was looking at the Unibond. He said there is a problem with it gelling and to use Smooth On.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:59 am »
UniBond 800 does appear to have shelf life issues that were not as common with URAC 185.  I was told long ago to keep it in the freezer and have only had the problem once since then - - - which was the time I left it in the garage instead of putting it back into the freezer right away.  Heat does most certainly ramp up the rate of reaction for Unibond 800, once it kicks over, it is off to the races...

I would suggest buying it directly from Nelson and even asking them for a batch run date to be written on the can label.  I think mine had a stamped on date for the last I got from them.  I like the results of Unibond a little better than for Smooth-on, but opening a NEW CAN of expensive but dead glue will move the needle on your opinion meter rather dramatically.  I use it for other wood working projects as well as bow building, or I might have left them already.

OneBow

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 11:06:17 am »
I know the smooth on tech people are more than happy to help talking to them on the phone.It does say that smooth on only has a 6 month shelf life too at room temperature,but I've used it later than that with good results.So bear that in mind.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Will H

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »
I bought some from 3rivers and had the same problem. It's a bad batch. Call em, they will make it right
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:44 pm »
I spoke with a fellow named Darrell from VacuPress yesterday.  They are apparently the manufacturer of Unibond 800.  I was referred to him by the people at Nelson's.  (Nelson's is just a distributor)  Apparently Darrell is one of the guys that formulated Unibond 800.  He tells me that the shelf life issue is related to the fact that Unibond 800 has less Formaldehyde in it than the URAC 185 product had.  It is important to rotate stock to keep the shelf life numbers effective.  Unfortunately, they smallest amount sell directly is a half gallon.  He did affirm that keeping the Unibond as cold as possible (like in your deep freeze) will substantially extend the shelf life of the product.

OneBow