Author Topic: How to Make Hide Glue from Dog Chews.  (Read 10011 times)

Offline Covertrunnin

How to Make Hide Glue from Dog Chews.
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:13 pm »
I stopped this weekend to pick up some food for the dog and some rawhide backings for myself at one of the big pet supply stores. When I got home I realized that I hadn't seen a photo build a long for making hide glue from rawhide in the forum (I thought there was one).  I have used dog chews for backing before and usually get decent sized scraps from inside the main bone(hide) this time however it was already ground up for me.  If you go this route you can grind your's up with an old coffee grinder if they are not already chopped finely.

1. Get a pot and fill it with water and throw your scraps in(finer sized scraps dissolve quicker). Additionally pre-soaking the rawhide scraps seems to help them dissolve quicker.

2. Turn the heat up until it is gently rolling (do not boil) and let the rawhide start reducing. 

3. As it reduces down you may see some of the fat rise to the top in the form of a white froth.  This is reduced by scraping additional fat from the hide before boiling.  Mine was already pre-ground and I couldn't scrap it. If you see this scoop it out every so often (You’ll remove the bulk of it at the end).

4. Once the rawhide has pretty much dissolved (this can take several days depending on the amount of hide/water) strain it through an old T-shirt or cheesecloth into another container.  Heat that container just enough to produce steam.

5. Once the excess water has been steamed away and the glue is about the consistency of a runny syrup  increase the heat so you get a strong rolling over (not boiling) then filter it again and pour it into a container to cool.

6. After the solution has gelled up and can be lifted by hand cut it into tiny pieces.  Place a fan over it and keep it cool as it dries. Or you may cut it into bigger squares and run some jute through it to hang dry. The final product should look something like this.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:56:34 pm by Covertrunnin »

Offline osage outlaw

Re: How to Make Hide Glue from Dog Chews.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »
That is some nice looking glue.  Thanks for posting the pictures
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:48:34 am »
Thanks for taking the time to do this "glue along. "  :laugh:  I need to do this with all the sinew and rawhide scraps I have saved. Nice looking glue as well!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:36:49 pm »
this time however it was already ground up for me.

Offline Covertrunnin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:57:52 pm »
Fixed  ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone  ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:15:46 pm »

You know I was going to say something when I posted this but I can't remember what it was. I must have pushed the "post" to soon. Sorry

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:43:45 am »
I like to use a thermometer and keep it at 65-75C (150-165F)? what's the best temperature? say, for hornbow making... maybe below 70C
There's some crock pots where you can set the temperature.
These dog chews seem to make great hide glue, even suitable for hornbow making..
The color looks good, apparently darker colored is worse?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 01:01:57 pm »
good pictures and description
could you please make the same also for chew dog bone backing?
I've bought a rawhide bone but once unrolled did not looked usable at  all

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 01:07:44 pm »
It seems to be the luck of the draw. Some bones have a decent piece of rawhide in them and others are crap, good only for glue.

Offline Covertrunnin

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »
Depending on how work goes I may glue one up this weekend.  If so, I'll post a rawhide backing one up as well.

Offline Covertrunnin

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 01:46:20 pm »
I like to use a thermometer and keep it at 65-75C (150-165F)? what's the best temperature? say, for hornbow making... maybe below 70C
There's some crock pots where you can set the temperature.
These dog chews seem to make great hide glue, even suitable for hornbow making..
The color looks good, apparently darker colored is worse?

I kept this at 160 F (except right between filtering when I heated it to a strong roll to scoop out the fat).  The poor off in the pictures above are from the rawhide heating at this temp for about 10 hours and are from the first pour off.  Two dog bones made about three of the pans in the picture worth of glue.  The second and third pourings are a fair bit cloudier (maybe using lye or something may have made it better) but the glue is still plenty strong for most any task. 

Offline Orrum

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:44 pm »
This is a truly great thread!!!   Thanks a bunch!!!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.