Author Topic: Split shaft poplar?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline MulchMaker

Split shaft poplar?
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:49 pm »
How does the process go? Cut a log a bit longer than the arrows you wanna build, take your froe and try to split 3/8 wide slats then split the slats as close to 3/8 square as you can plane the corners then plane the corners then sand paper round? I have a lot of poplar that has to be thinned. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Split shaft poplar?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:55:40 pm »
..or saw it into 1/2" square stock then reduce.
 I have some poplar arrows and shafts that Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher) sent me. They make great, durable arrows. Charlie had the poplar cut into 2" thick boards and stickered them to dry for about 2 years. He tried making arrows with fresher stuff but the aged poplar made the best shafts. Charlie used one of the dowel makers then forced the shafts through a compression block. Like I said, they make great arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:13:38 pm »
Or do both.  I split one edge, getting as straight a grain as possible, and then use that edge against the fence of the table saw and cut 1/2 inch squares, and then run them thru a block of some sort, as Pat says.  I use hickory cut offs with a 11/32 hole in it in place of a metal compression block.  Russ   

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:22:32 pm »
leave more than "a bit" longer helps sometimes if there is an imperfection in the split. It is easier to find a good 30" in a four foot piece than a three. For those that have never used a froe, using a froe is sort of an art. (splits straighter if a piece is split in the middle rather than off the side)

I slit slats then resaw. might want to go for thicker than 3/8 depending on how the splitting goes.

are you using true poplar or tulipwood?

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:33:13 am »
I'll be using some tulip, but I have an abundance of what I and the locals call poplar not sure if it's a true poplar. Is bark darn near looks like white birch in the right light from far away, when you get close is when you know you've been fooled, it drops cotton like crazy but no one says nice cottonwood trees, they all say nice poplar trees. I'm not all that great at identification so I just go with the flow, I'm not sure exactly if that's right or wrong. interesting local name for a tree was "India ink berry tree" called it that for years, turns out its called buckthorn. So the same could be true with my "poplar" but I do have a few tulipwood that I know for sure, Pat B identified it for me. I use a froe pretty well but a lot of the time I use a long knife that I beat with a mallet so I don't have to go the shed. I don't have access to a table saw, but if got thinking if I split them, I could make use of them. Thanks for the replies guys. Might have to actually build one of those fancy planing jigs, I use my back steps to hold em still now for the occasion of planning if I am doing more than just a couple, splitting them I'll have more than that!!

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:05 pm »
I don't have a fancy jig, just a long wide flat plank, with a narrow strip nailed to one edge.  The right angle where they meet is the V groove you sit the blank in to plane.

It works just fine for both tulip and true aspen (populus tremula).  You guys in the states have quaking aspen (populus tremuloids) which is dead similar to European aspen.

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:09:51 pm »
my porch steps work well, or the porch itself if I want to stand up. Boards have just enough gap to put a shaft and the railing keeps it from moving. Just looking for something more portable that's all. Thanks for the good info, Pat B, willie, WillS, and RBLusthaus.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 12:10:22 am »
Mulch maker,
Sent you a pm that has nothing to do with this thread.😀   Guess I better finish the froe I started.  On tree id cottonwood has rough bark, poplar has a smoother bark more like sycamore, if I remember right.  Got some shoots drying in the garage, and I think My hand is healed enough to get some more. Found what I think is red willow, but I'm not sure since it is still in the dormant stage.  I plan to get some pic and post when I figure that process out again
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:42:57 am »
If I'm not mistaken, red willow and red osier are the same. Red osier is a dogwood and most dogwoods have opposite branching so that makes it easy to ID when dormant...that and it's red bark on younger shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:58:09 pm »
Don't want to steal the thread - what I cut was all shoots as it is in the barrow ditch just off the road, did not notice branches, will get out tomorrow and take pics.  Red it is, buds are opposite, and alternate pairs 90 degrees, one cut shoot was dried  pretty straight and a tan color.  Will start a new thread when I get pic and re-figure how to post.  It does have nodes at the bud sites.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 11:36:23 pm »
Got confirmation on my shoots -they are red oiser dogwood.  Learned from some young guys who walked me through the id process at one of the local nurseries.  Will open another thread for some advice.
Hawkdancer
Jerry