Author Topic: Help Unibond  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Mad Max

Help Unibond
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:14:20 pm »
I bought a pint of unibond from 3rivers, the glue is setup like real stiff jello.

I have Tightbond 2 and smooth on
For a v splice Osage billets, what should I use?
Thanks
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help Unibond
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:21:38 pm »
Mix up a small batch of the Unibond and do a test with it. If it is like Urac it is pretty thick stuff.  Both TBII and Smooth-on will work also but you will need a tight fit with your cuts with them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:48:44 pm »
It's like one lump, I would have to cut it with a knife and I'm sure it would not mix.
I'm going for a refund.
Thanks Pat
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:21:10 pm »
If you have any gaps I would not use TB.
I am using Weldwood Plastic Resin now,  so far so good, only thing I dont like about it is water based.  So you have to make sure you saturate both surfaces.  The working time is quite a bit.  Comes in powder formula.  This stuff dries to a hard tough consistency. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 06:43:33 pm »
Thanks Guy's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:25:08 pm »
I've used Weldwood plastic Resin for years and it is good. It is very similar to Urac 185(predecessor to Unibond), a urea type glue. I like the fact it is water based. It cleans up easily.
 Contact the maker of the Unibond(Nelson Paint Co. I think). Their tech guys will help with the problem and may even send you a new can.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:31 pm »
The smooth on will work fine.  I had the unibond do the same thing for me before.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch