Author Topic: Accuracy?  (Read 13362 times)

Offline DC

Accuracy?
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:51:00 pm »
I've seen a few posts where people say, "It goes where I'm looking."  I've also read that any stick can make an accurate bow. If we take any bow and put it on a good shooting machine with a "perfect" arrow will it not plunk the arrow in the same hole(or close) time after time? What if the tiller is iffy? I realize that the major part of accuracy is the archer.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »
Accuracy, what's that?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:22:42 pm »
Accuracy comes with consistency and practice. Consistency with your form, your draw, your anchor and your release...and lots of thoughtful shooting. If you find yourself distracted or getting antsy or pissed, put the bow away. Make every shot count. Mindless shooting doesn't breed accuracy. Start at 10 yards and shoot one arrow and retrieve it then shoot again. Don't try to shoot groups. Shoot that one arrow until you are confident at 10 yards then move back 5 yards and repeat.
 All bows are accurate if the proper arrow for that bow is shot.
 Theoretically, a bow shot with a shooting machine should put the arrow in the same hole in the target barring  atmospheric  and geological maladies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:26:42 pm »

All bows are accurate if the proper arrow for that bow is shot.
 Theoretically, a bow shot with a shooting machine should put the arrow in the same hole in the target barring  atmospheric  and geological maladies.

It's the part I quoted you on that I was curious about. I thought that a bow was a bow but I keep hearing comments that make me wonder if I was misunderstanding something.
Thanks Pat

Offline loon

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:39 am »
Ah yeah, accurate if the proper arrow is shot. What if the arrow spine is way off an the arrow fishtails a lot? Would some randomness from the fishtailing hurt accuracy? Would be interesting to make a test.

Man, I often get annoyed when I shoot. And often there's a strong desire to change things about my form. Maybe that's why I can't hit anything. But I'm still working on my release, which makes it hard to find a perfect spine.

Mindful shooting... focus on the target and in my body? Try to be consistent in form? But maybe not on aiming, except maybe with peripheral (split vision)?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 08:17:09 am »
Without properly spined arrows for the bow and shooter accuracy is impossible. All the bow does is push the arrow. If the arrow is not spined for the bow and the shooter there is no chance of accuracy.
 The arrow is the prime part of the marriage, not the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:23 am »
I have preached that for years Pat, if the arrow is tuned for the bow even the poorest tilled bow will shoot accurate , it is all about arrow and consistent form. That being said a well built/tillered/ no shock and well balanced bow will make the arrow tuning and consistent form much easier to accomplish so it all kind of goes hand in hand.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »
So carrying this to the extreme, if I was to mount sights and use a release, theoretically I should be able to shoot as well as a guy or girl with a compound. I guess the over center thing helps a lot too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 01:09:20 pm »
With trad bows it all has to do with properly spined arrows, consistent  form, draw, anchor and release. Center shot or not doesn't have anything to do with it. If you have a bow with a 2" wide handle you can shoot it accurately with properly spined arrows and consistent form, draw, anchor and release.

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 12:41:54 am »
So maybe I don't suck that much, then? Hahaha. I wonder how did they did this spine thing 500 years ago in Asia. Or the native Americans. Probably a much more frustrating amount of experimentation..
I was getting horrible "groups", maybe 45" wide with a ~25-30# bow, thumb draw. Arrow on right side, arrows going to the right, and nock right. I switched to a ~40# bow, same arrows, they were going straighter and my groups shrank. But still pretty big. Maybe 20-25". But there was one time where I had a pretty small group of 3 arrows and some fliers with the weak bow...
All of this at 18m(20yd).. still very far from pie plate accuracy :\
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:08:44 am by loon »

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:49:19 am »
 "It goes where I'm looking." 
For me, some bows I make are more conducive to consistant,  accurate shooting. They make it easier for me to maintain good form, which is the main variable after proper spine has been selected. It doesn't take me long to figure out whether a particular bow has it or not. I feel every bow I make has the capability to be a tack driver, some just make me work harder at it.

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 06:20:05 am »
I mean, if the arrow is tuned, one should be able to look straight down the shaft and have the arrow go straight, right? (Just something I've been assuming

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:08:37 am »
Yes if you want to anchor right under you eye. We call that gun barreling or tube shooting, I know some that shoot that way. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 12:42:12 pm »
One thing that helped me a lot. When I started making shoot arrows I just used the one that had the best flight. Pick your quietest, best flight arrow and only use it. It just takes a lot of variables out of the process. Try to get that one to go where your looking, or pointing however you shoot. When you get that one going where it's supposed to, make some more just like it. I'm sold on bare shaft testing, but I realize how difficult it is until you develop consistency.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 05:06:53 pm »
Center shot or not doesn't have anything to do with it. If you have a bow with a 2" wide handle you can shoot it accurately with properly spined arrows and consistent form, draw, anchor and release.

Pat, would you care to say whether you find it easier (or not), to find the properly spined arrow for the centershot over the 2"wide?