Author Topic: Accuracy?  (Read 13364 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Accuracy?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 04:09:59 am »
For sure easier for a center shot or nearer center shot bow to find the right arrow, not speaking for Pat but for myself. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:51 pm »
A bow cut closer to center will be much more forgiving in spine which equates to accuracy in regards to the shooters down falls. When a bow is cut closer to center you can over draw and short draw an inch and still get great flight. When a bow is cut, for example, 1" off center it is true that a matched arrow will fly just as accurately, if ALL things are perfect in the shot sequence. Short draw it 1" and the arrows slams off the riser and wags like a dogs tail. Basically, if you aren't a pro shooter, closer to center will always be better and more accurate and forgiving. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:52 pm »
I find that a shallow handle or bend in handle bow ,, shoots like it is cut close to center,, even if the handle is a bit wide,, the arrow does not have to go around much handle,, and I think that helps the paradox,, one bow I am shooting now the handle is about 3/4 deep, 1 1/4 wide,,, and the string lays a little to the arrow side,, the handle is wide 1 1/4,,, its shoots to same spot as my bows with narrow deep handle,( really a little more to the right) or more like center shot,, the guy making the bow has to keep these things in mind, and make it where it shoots the most forgiving,, a bow that is set up right will shoot a wider range of spine arrows as stated above,,, and is more forgiving on the draw length,, the key to this,,,, is the guy making or setting up the bow has to be able to shoot well enough to tell the difference,,, :)   

sometimes a bow will shoot smoother with one limb up,, it may not be the limb you intended to be up,, and it may not look like the string is lined up better that way,, but after alot of shooting you realize,,, it just shoots better that way,, so reshape the handle a bit and go with it,,, sometimes you have to have a friend come and shoot the bow just to validate you have not lost your mind,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 05:23:32 pm »
is the guy making or setting up the bow has to be able to shoot well enough to tell the difference,,, :)   

This is the tough part ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 12:02:56 pm »
Willie, like others have said, center shot bows are more forgiving as far as spine goes but a typical non-center shot selfbow can be accurate with properly spined arrows. I've never owned a center shot bow. I have 2 glass longbows that are close but not center shot.
 Most folks think the bow is the primary part of the set up but any bow will shoot an arrow that is properly spined for it but not just any arrow will shoot from any bow. IMO the arrow is the most important part of the set. Learn to build proper arrows and you will find your accuracy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 02:01:42 pm »
   Pat B,, you are right about that arrow,,,,
I have alot of arrows,, when I am shooting a bow, I might shoot 5 different arrows at first,,
well it becomes obvious quickly which ones are shooting the best, and there is usually one,, that will stand out,,
I will use that for my hunting set up,, even if it does not seem to fit a chart on what should shoot out of that bow,, I go with what is working,, or hitting most consistantly,,
   when I have been praciticing alot,, I can shoot a wider range of spine arrows, my release is better,,, when I have not been practicing,, seems like I cant find that arrow that was shooting so great,, :)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:05 pm »
IMO the arrow is the most important part of the set. Learn to build proper arrows and you will find your accuracy.

I buy that.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 04:50:22 am »
Right Pat, there is just nothing like a well tuned arrow. A bow can be so so but if the arrow is right it will hit where you point it. Now pointing it where you want to hit may be a problem. ;) ;D ;D ;D I use to do a lot of stump shooting with my long time Friend Ronnie Poston, I would make a bad shot and miss my mark sometimes, I would look and say man what happened, he would always say heck it hit right where you pointed, and with that I would say ya I know but why was I pointing there. ;) :) We always got a good laugh out of that.  ??? Guess you had to be there. ;) ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 07:52:00 pm »
IMO the arrow is the most important part of the set. Learn to build proper arrows and you will find your accuracy.

I buy that.
Yep I agree....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Strelets

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 03:31:24 am »
I agree with everyone who said that the arrow is more important than the bow. I find that heavy arrows with good big feathers are much more accurate at a fixed distance than lighter arrows. I tested arrows of 580, 740 and 1000 grains, shot at a 6-inch diameter circle at 10 metres (11 yards) from a 76” English longbow of 70 lb at 27”, with the following results.

580 grain, 16% FOC,  low cut 4” feathers :      35% hits on 6” target at 11 yards.
580 grain, 16% FOC,  high cut 5.5” feathers:   50% hits on 6” target at 11 yards.
740 grain, 15% FOC,  high cut 5.5” feathers:   70% hits on 6” target at 11 yards.
1000 grain, 16% FOC, high cut 5.5” feathers:   77% hits on 6” target at 11 yards.

All of the arrows had similar weight forward of centre (FOC), flew well on a bare shaft test and were apparently well matched to the bow. A previous comment on this site was that “You need to be a good archer to shoot a light arrow”. Well, I am obviously not good enough, so I shoot arrows of at least 740 grains.

The arrows were all of 3/8” diameter and 28” in the shaft, of yellow poplar, ash and maple for the lightest to heaviest shafts.  In addition to being more forgiving of mistakes by the archer, the heavier shafts also appear to be more forgiving of spine mismatches.  Ash shafts anything from 70 to 95 lb spine rating will fly well from this bow, whereas lighter poplar shafts will “clack” and wobble if the spine is not right.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 03:05:25 pm »
I will say,, I have noticed over the years,, the heavier arrows are more forgiving of my release,, or flaw in form,,  and could calm a finicky bow down to a good shooter,, but thought it was just me ,,, and my lack of good form,, 
for example,, I am shooting a shorter 55 inch bow,, with the light arrows,, I get good flight, but if my release is a bit off, ,the shot is quiet a bit off, with  700 grain arrows, I am much more consistent,,
ok I here the comments now that I am giving up trajectory,,, thats true ,, but at close hunting shots I am shooting 15 yards its not an issue,,
for elk I shoot a heaver bow,, and am good to 40 yards,, so not so much of an issue for me with that set up,, point on is 45 yards,,,
    I will say I have shot with guys that were so good,, that the light arrows worked great for them,,,accurate and flat shooting,,,but for me the heavy arrows are a bit more stable,,

Offline Traxx

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 08:15:53 pm »
I have found the same and with longer arrows as well.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 04:13:22 pm »
ill third or fourth that heavy arrow bit. i switched to aluminum because carbon just wouldnt cut it. wood is heavier still and i shoot better with them over aluminum. kind of reminds me of big slow caliber rifles. sure its slower but nothing is going to stop it from going where its supposed to be going.  :-M (forgive my sins speaking of aluminum and carbon) haha

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »
I think you covered the 3 deadly sins in one sentence,,rifles carbon and aluminum,, hmmmm (-S

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 10:18:03 am »
Say ten Hail Fred Bears and you are forgiven my son, lol.