Author Topic: My First Primitive Kill! (Public Land)  (Read 17942 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

My First Primitive Kill! (Public Land)
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:17 pm »
The other day I decided to go to a local wildlife management area for a small game hunt.  On these hunts you can basically shoot anything but a deer or a turkey so there really is quite a variety of opportunity.  I set out early in the evening and I decided I was just going to walk with bow in hand and I'd kill the first legal thing I chanced upon.  It was kind of a drizzly day and it rained on me early on.  Luckily palm trees are in no short supply so I waited it out beneath the umbrella like fronds.  Once the rain let up I kept walking.  I was the 10th hunter that day on the 8,000 acres of land I didn't come across a soul.  I had stopped at the first place I could get out of my truck and go.  I walked several hours, seeing all kind of tracks and animal sign.  Pigs had rooted up lots of the paths I had been on that day and I had hoped to get a shot at one.  The sun began to approach the tree line so I decided I should head back before it got too dark.  I didn't want to keep the check station attendant waiting too long.  I had my truest arrow with the sharpest obsidian point nocked on my bow.  As I wandered my way back I heard the tell tale signs of a squirrel scrambling along the ground.  I froze.  The squirrel was sitting at the base of a palm tree.  I wasn't about to shoot my best arrow at it.  I slid my first arrow off and slowly nocked my worst arrow that an obsidian point that had the tip chipped off on a miss from over a year ago.  The movement of course caused the squirrel to scramble up to the bushy part of the palm tree.  It sat there where I couldn't see it so I slowly shifted around the palm tree until I saw its profile sitting there.  I slowly raised my bow, drew, and loosed the arrow.  The arrow flew true and hit the squirrel right in the side, knocking it out of the tree and leaving a large gash in its side.  It quickly scrambled to a nearby leaning oak and rested at the base.  Slowly, it laid its head down, then started slipping down to the ground where it expired.  I went and found my arrow, retrieved my arrow and proudly walked back to my truck and excitedly told the check station attendant all about my hunt and we shared the excitement of my first primitive kill!

I ate the squirrel that night and its skin is in the freezer and the tail was cut off as a trophy.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: My First Primitive Kill! (Public Land)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:07:47 pm »
Congrads ....they are hard to hit.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:29:44 pm »
Congratulations Tim.  Hitting a squirrel should boost your confidence on larger animals when you get the opportunity. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »
Congrats on hunting the hard way, good shooting.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:56 pm »
I bet that was the best tasting squirrel you've ever ate  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:37:44 am »
Great work Tim. That squirrel might not fill the freezer, but a prize none the less

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:05:28 am »
Nice job Tim, great story. Congrats, Wondered where you have been, nice to see ya post again. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:37:50 am »
Congratulations!  Those things are hard to hit.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:25:53 am »
Congratulations!  Those little buggers are the toughest target in the woods.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:04 am »
Congratulations Tim, that is a real trophy and excellent hunting. They are some tough buggers to get a shoot at and a pretty small target to. You should be very proud of that hunt.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 03:29:58 pm »
Thanks guys.  There are two more weekends next month for small game hunts at the same place so I'm excited to get back out there! 

Nice job Tim, great story. Congrats, Wondered where you have been, nice to see ya post again. :)
 Pappy
Yeah, I've been busy with projects, school, and I went and fell in love with a good woman.  I just realized I hadn't made a bow in almost 2 years.  I've got one I really like so I've been focusing on building arrows and points.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »
Congratulations.Looks like a gray.Good shot.Our grays are a bit smaller than our reds and a bit more flighty and harder to get here compared to our reds.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »
First primitive kill. Congrats and good shot. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 08:27:27 am »
Great time, Tim. The wacky grey squirrel is a worthy adversary. I think they are the king of archery quarry.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 09:15:27 am »
Congrats! Taking game with any bow is an absolute thrill. Hope you get a chance at one of those hogs, Good Luck!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes