Author Topic: Sandstone  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Osage orange

Sandstone
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:21:05 pm »
I read on  here somewhere that someone used Sandstone to straighten cane/rose shoots. Does anyone know where I could find  some Sandstone? Or could I use an old piece of grinding wheel from my bench top Grinder? Thanks, Bruce.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sandstone
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 11:38:52 pm »
Clint, I have a chunk of red sandstone from Utah that Justin sent me years ago. If I can divide it I'll bring you half to the Classic...or mail it to you if you need it sooner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:39:57 am »
Pat, this isn't Clint asking.   It's a different Double O.   Welcome aboard

Offline Buck67

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:05:45 am »
I grabbed some palm sized sandstone rocks on the Lake Superior seashore last year.  I tried boring holes so I could sand down shafts.  I found that you do have be careful if you bore straight through with a steel bit, sometimes they blow out the material at the back.  I bored holes that were 3/8" in size with the idea that I could use it to size the shafts.  I found that didn't work so good when one of the shafts got stuck in the hole.  The sandstone didn't clear the sawdust fast enough and the hole filled up.  Had to break the shaft to get the hole cleared out.

Shallow grooves seem to work best for sanding.  I'm thinking that maybe limestone might work better, but I haven't tried that yet.