Author Topic: Digital Caliper Assistant  (Read 1405 times)

Offline DC

Digital Caliper Assistant
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:57:23 pm »
At the Cumberland Gathering I was very impressed with Wizardgoats digital calipers(his fingers). He could feel out thin/thick spots on a limb effortlessly. I tried and I think if I had ten years left I might catch on so I came up with a helper. It's basically wooden pliers. Put the jaws on the limb and lightly hold the handles. Start at the fades and slide it out the limb. You can feel the lumps and bump way better  as they are magnified 3 or 4 times at the handle. It works pretty slick. Us digitally handicapped need all the help we can get.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Digital Caliper Assistant
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »
  Clever!  I have been using all kinds of spanners, like small boards with a 3/4" notch cut in them, and not using my calipers much.  But, I like this.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:46:16 pm »
I use my thumb and fingers to feel thickness and thickness change. You can feel finer changes easier than seeing them.  I never felt comfortable  using calipers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:47:59 pm »
I can still see a .003" thou difference with my naked eye and my eye sight is bad close up.  Weather its metal or wood.   I have checked cylinder heads with a feeler gauge, and my eye tells no lies without using any gauge.  So far this system has worked best for me as long as the limbs are flat.

I use my thumb and fingers to feel thickness and thickness change. You can feel finer changes easier than seeing them.  I never felt comfortable  using calipers.

Nothing like feel, smell, and eye sight.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:52:49 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 05:55:32 pm »
What Pat B said...............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:22:44 pm »
That's using your noggin, DC! I have the same deficiency.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:07:58 am »
Good idea!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:55 am »
Great Idea I still use a digital & lockable machinest calipers Im not that good yet need all the help I can get  ::)
If you fear failure you will never Try !