Author Topic: Cherry bark  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Lucasade

Cherry bark
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:21:52 pm »
One of my clients has (had!) a standing dead cherry tree - I believe it is prunus serrula but I haven't checked yet. Anyway I cut it down last week and hauled it home and I am in the process of stripping the bark. I had a go at buffing up a little piece to see what it could come up like, and the results following a damp cloth and beeswax were to be hinest less than I hoped. Are there any other techniques for bringing out the sheen?

Offline DC

Re: Cherry bark
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »
Scrape lightly with a dullish scraper, I used my pocket knife, until you get to the purple part. It just seems like a waxy coating over the purple. Don't use sandpaper. You can use your fingernail for a lot of it.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:59:15 am »
Yep - a scraper works real good. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:08 am »
I'll try that - thank you.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
I've backed a few bows with cherry bark and on a few of them I left the moss and lichens on for camo effect. Worked and looks good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:01:43 pm »
That's a good idea, and there was a bow posted recently with a rather nice cherry bark handle wrap that I think I'll try too - I'm not going to be short of raw material for some time!

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:10:01 pm »
Backed a yew bow for my Brother in law several years ago. As said above I used a dull scraper to get that waxy cortex off, then polished with 4-0 steel wool finished wih true oil. I think it was choke cherry and at the joints of backing, I skived the joints and wrapped with sinew for effect. Glued the bark down with TB-III. Wish I had taken pictures of it so I could show just how beautiful it came out.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:59:20 am »
On a Cherry backed bow that I made, I wrapped the seams of the bark with rod winding thread. Alternated bright red and Turquise Blue - looked really nice on Osage. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:57:20 am »
Be sure you have the right species of cherry bark. Will you post pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 06:42:14 pm »
I'll put some up tomorrow - I've not had a chance to check properly yet. It's funny how you find things when you start looking, I got another tree full from a different client last week!

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 05:51:16 pm »
Here's some photos - the first is the bit I buffed up. Looking at it I suspect it's probably prunus avium rather than prunus serrula, but I still think it looks good.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 08:48:52 pm »
Yep, that's the stuff. Contrary to what others have said, if it's thick enough, I use sandpaper along bark grain all the way to 330. Then tung oil with steel wool in between. Comes out beautiful.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb