Author Topic: Sinew-backed Mulberry Bow with lower limb problem revealed  (Read 3721 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Sinew-backed Mulberry Bow with lower limb problem revealed
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:56 pm »
Hey guys. here's one that was worth the wait. I cut the stave, roughed it out, chased a ring and floor tillered all within about 2 hours. Then I bent it into a wood-block r/d form and waited about 4 months for it to dry out enough that it would hold it's profile for the most part, which it did. Then I applied 2 courses of sinew and waited another 2 months, tillered, and finished. It came out pulling 51# at 27". It's incredibly light and man does it shoot fast! I'm really happy with this one.  :)

52" ntn
Sinew backing is covered w/ birch bark
cow horn tip overlays
seagrass handle wrap

I know I post a lot of bows, so thank you all for looking... again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:36:23 am by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Sinew-backed Mulberry Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:29:39 pm »
and three more
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:27 pm »
That's a great looking bow! I love it. Nice work

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:08:09 pm »
here's the f/d from another angle

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:14:00 pm »
Nice tiller, I bet she's a shooter!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:44:33 pm »
great looking bow! did you Chrony it to see how fast it shoots?

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:16:02 am »
Wow!
Came out great
Ya do nice work
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 03:46:15 am »
The lower limb tip looks like it is about to hinge on you. Especially as it is reflexed in the unbraced picture?

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:59:10 am »
the more bows you post, the better!

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 06:19:46 am »
Wow upstate!!! You've outdone yourself! And don't worry about posting to many, for me, a beginner looking at your bows helps me keep motivated. I'm sure the entire board has gone through it. You wake up and your like I wanna build a bow! And then you find out you have to wait for wood to dry. So for at least a month if not longer to build there first. I'd go crazy if it wasn't for you and other members posting bows. You have helped me and probably countless others keep with it just by the drool factor alone! I do often wonder how you keep up the pace you've been going at...I'll end this long winded post with....thank you and please don't stop posting

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 08:43:40 am »
Thanks everyone for looking. Phillip, I wish I had a chrony. It's definitely a priority for me to get one. Mike, I saw that lower limb thing as soon as I posted the first f/d pic so I had the wife take one from a different angle. To me the second one looks much less like it's about to hinge. I'd be very curious to hear what others think about this. Loon and mulch, I'm glad you don't mind all the posts.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline RyanY

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 09:40:01 am »
I agree with Mike. Its visible at brace as well. Love the birch bark backing!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 10:20:25 am »
Yes ditto on the lower tip there but still nice to see a mulberry on the forum.Especially with the nice birch bark cover on it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 11:02:52 am »
Right on, you did it! And you did it good.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:35:36 am »
So I've been racking my brain to figure out what happened on the lower limb because I took pics close to full draw just prior to finishing and that hingey spot wasn't there and then it hit me. Just before sanding I noticed that the string alignment was just a tad off so I decided to correct it with some dry heat. I think what happened is that the heat and slight bending weakened the wood in that spot cause that's precisely where the hingey spot is. The picture below shows the bow just before the heat correction and I removed no wood after it was taken. It had to be the heat.  :(

Nigerian Proverb