Author Topic: Sinew-backed Mulberry Bow with lower limb problem revealed  (Read 3722 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Sinew-backed Mulberry Bow with lower limb problem revealed
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 12:07:01 pm »
I could be wrong, but mid limb on the bottom could bend just a touch more.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 01:01:35 pm »
How is the thickness transition in that limb? Is it nice and uniform or does it get noticeably thinner in that area? Just as discussed in that other thread its possible that the wood took a while to respond. I was working on a hickory warbow that had a stiff outer limb I wanted to tiller out. I was pulling the bow at about 100# to exercise it and it wasn't till it was noticeably thinner that it finally came around and hinged.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59356.0.html

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 01:10:15 pm »
How is the thickness transition in that limb? Is it nice and uniform or does it get noticeably thinner in that area? Just as discussed in that other thread its possible that the wood took a while to respond. I was working on a hickory warbow that had a stiff outer limb I wanted to tiller out. I was pulling the bow at about 100# to exercise it and it wasn't till it was noticeably thinner that it finally came around and hinged.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,59356.0.html

The thickness taper is pretty uniform. I'm pretty sure it's the heat that caused it. I'm sure glad it's sinewed, otherwise I think the problem would be much worse
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »
Did you give the sinew time to firm up again after the heat. I wouldn't think the wood would get weakened by the heat but I could imagine the sinew softening up from heat and if you bent it too soon afterwards, it may have let been more stretchy than the rest of the bow in that spot.

Just thinkin out loud here.

Still a fine bow in my opinion. Thanks for posting it.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 02:23:01 pm »
Very nice!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 05:13:31 pm »
Did you give the sinew time to firm up again after the heat. I wouldn't think the wood would get weakened by the heat but I could imagine the sinew softening up from heat and if you bent it too soon afterwards, it may have let been more stretchy than the rest of the bow in that spot.

Just thinkin out loud here.

Still a fine bow in my opinion. Thanks for posting it.

huh, I suppose that is indeed possible. just goes to show how many subtleties there are in primitive bow making. it's amazing so many come out as well as they do!

Thanks to all  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb