Author Topic: 11/32 cedar shafts  (Read 3040 times)

Offline SMeeres3030

11/32 cedar shafts
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:09:38 am »
Sorry I am very new to arrow making. I purchased some 11/32 port orfard cedar shafts 32" and i am wondering wich weight bow they would best be suited for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 11/32 cedar shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:10 am »
What spine rating are these shafts? 11/32 cedar shafts can be anywhere from 40# or less to over 75#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:23:16 am »
When I first decided to try wood I didn't know anything about spine and ordered 100 Acme cedar shafts, paid about $48 for them if I remember correctly. They were tree trunks, way over spined and shot awful out of my bows. Later I learned about spine but the availability of Acme shafts had faded away.

Imagine 100 shafts needing almost no straightening and all the shafts were straight grain from one end to the other, no runout, that was an Acme shaft.

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:27 am »
wow those would be nice shafts. ok i am not sure on spine weight? how would i figure that out?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:00:53 pm »
The person selling the shafts should know the spine of the shafts. If not, you'll have to determine it yourself. You can buy or build a spine tester. To build one Google James Hill Spine Tester.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:33 pm »
Sounds like they are bought already. I concur with Pat about determining spine. If you don't have a proper spine tester, you can simply measure how much a 2 lb weight deflects the center of the shaft when placed between 26" centers. If they are too soft, you might look to exchanging them for stiffer. Spine measured this way is called the static spine, and it gets you in the ballpark for the "typical" setup.

There is dynamic spine to consider also. The dynamic spine required is affected by length of arrow, weight of point, width of bow handle and other factors. These are adjustments you make to tune the arrow to your bow, so there are some ways to make adjustments, if the shafts are not too weak and cannot be exchanged. 

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 08:26:55 pm »
Be sure to check the spine against the grain.  In other words you want the lines in the ends of the shaft to be vertical not horizontal when you hang the weight on them.  And be sure to check both vertical sides then either average the 2 for bow weight use or use the highest weight side against the bow rest.  Just my experience for what it's worth.

Eric, Acme shafts were the BEST!  Glad I still have several 100 left to last the rest of my life!