Author Topic: Local arrow wood?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline SMeeres3030

Local arrow wood?
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:13:47 am »
I live in the Central part of British columbia Canada, i was wondering if anyone knew of any good arrow woods? We have lots of old growth clear red cedar, also clear Douglas fir, red osier dogwood, ocean spray, rose(not sure which kind), any tips to which wood would be best or if there are others I dont know about. thanks guys I will leave it to you.

Offline jayman448

Re: Local arrow wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:50:43 am »
hey buddy. what is central bc to you? im from the south cariboo. anyways I actually really like wild rose. its really easy to straighten and doesnt tend to snap easily. the issue i have is obviously dealing with all the thorns in the beginning (just wear gloves) and sometimes finding the right size can be difficult. but when you find some proper sized ones the whole patch tends to be of similar size

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:01:27 am »
All that you mentioned will work fine for arrows. Red osier, ocean spray and wild rose make good shoot shafts and red cedar and Doug fir make good split shafts. I've made very good arrows from red osier and rose(most rose varieties work) but not the others.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:10 am »
I'm in bc too. All of those make good shafts. Os is the toughest out of those. Serviceberry, Pacific ninebark, also fruit trees shoots, like plum, Apple, pear. I like OS and service berry myself. Cheers- Brendan

Offline SMeeres3030

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »
ok thanks guys. i am going to go for a arrow hunt now. i live in Armstrong BC.