Author Topic: Couple sets of target and hunting arrows  (Read 5211 times)

Offline make-n-break

Couple sets of target and hunting arrows
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:45:05 pm »
Here's a set of 5 Western Red Cedar target arrows with 2 matched hunting arrows. The shafts were turned from a board on my Simple DIY router jig Version 2.0 which can be found on page two of https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56341.15.html

I used to put a ton of time into customizing my arrows with cresting, unique wraps, etc.; but the last 2 or 3 years I've preferred a plain Jane, get-r-done arrow. Mostly because I break and lose a lot of arrows! It doesn't sting as much to break arrows that take 30 minutes each vs. 2+ hours.

23/64 Diameter
60-65# spine
11/32 glue on points
Self nocks
5" Wild turkey feathers - target arrows are stripped, hunting arrows split and sanded.
Fletched with Bitz w/ straight clamp and trimmed with scissors
Artificial sinew wraps
Boiled Linseed Oil finish

These fly nicely out of a 70# Osage bendy handle. I've found that it takes a very tight grained piece of WRC to make a shaft suitable for hunting weight bows. They also break easier than other species when impacting or deflecting off hard objects. This set turned out nice but I'll probably abandon WRC in the future.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:42:46 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Couple sets of target and hunting arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 03:52:06 pm »
Here's a set of HD Garden Stake bamboo target arrows.

11/32 at the base
5/16 at the nock
70-75# spine
5" wild turkey feathers, stripped.. Bitz w/ straight clamp
Self nocks
Artificial sinew wraps
No finish applied

These were made for a 75# hickory pyramid with intentionally offset limbs. The bow is very close to center-shot. Bamboo takes too long to make for my taste, but they sure are durable! I've grown to prefer turned lumber shafts but I still like a good bamboo/cane arrow.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:44:20 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »
Here's my first go at a set made of Mahogany. I think it makes a visually pleasing arrow shaft with a unique look.

I've never tried mahogany and got the inspiration from a website I saw offering premium mahogany shafts that had good reviews.

Haven't spined them yet because I'm in the middle of a big move to a new house/shop.. but the hand flex test is gonna guess ballbark 75#, give or take 10#, at 21/64 diameter. They feel very dense and straighten easily.  I have confidence that they'll make a nice arrow and I'll be sure to post them up with a review once I get them fletched up.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:02:14 pm by make-n-break »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:00:51 pm »
Very nice arrows and shafts.   I have some black walnut heartwood shafts that work well also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 08:02:48 pm »
Nice Arrows!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:21 pm »
Very nice.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 11:11:23 pm »
Very nice arrows.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:01:45 am »
Nice arrows make-n-break thanks for posting. Your shafts look real nice to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:52:58 am »
Nice arrows and shafts. I have used wrc quite a few times as well. I find the nice old growth, tight ringed stuff is more brittle than the lighter colored, thick ringed stuff. Have you noticed a difference? Cheers- Brendan

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:36:13 am »
Thanks everyone!

Pat - I've always wanted to try black walnut but the specialty lumber  store here is very proud ($$) of their walnut. I've had my eye out though.

Brendan - I have never tried the thick ringed stuff. I thought the boards felt lighter when compared to the real tight stuff. I may have to give it a try.. at $3.50 a board it's no big deal if it doesn't work out!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:04:28 am by make-n-break »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:50 am »
They look great , they should get the job done. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:05 am »
Oh man, those bamboos are some lookers and they seem really straight. I can't seem to get rid of kinks at the nodes. And I have a ton of bamboo stakes, so I guess it will be a while of trying to make bamboo arrows.. I'd like to see the bow. They must really scream out of a 75# pyramid...

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 06:44:32 pm »
Here you go Loon. I can't get a FD but it's the same bow I posted a little bit back titled "Hickory Pyramid 74@28". I toasted the bottom limb to correct prop twist and it went up to 77# but it settled at 75#. I later reworked the handle to make it a floppy rest and intentially offset the limbs with steam just for a fun experiment. It's nothing special. No stain, no decorations..just a plain function-only hickory board pyramid..but it shoots nice.

My image resizer ruins the quality of my photos but hopefully you can see in the third pic that the offset limbs make it closer to center shot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:48:41 pm by make-n-break »

Offline loon

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:14 pm »
Awesome, thanks

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »
I later reworked the handle to make it a floppy rest and intentially offset the limbs with steam just for a fun experiment.

After you offset the limbs did you have to change the spine of the arrows?