Author Topic: Re: Progress And Another Question, Pg 2  (Read 4303 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hickory Tiller Check
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 01:42:51 pm »
I agree the bow should be longer for your draw length, but I also know hickory will take whatever you give it. Your bow may take a bit more set or be a bit less efficient than it could be, but in the end it will still be a serviceable bow. Not many woods will let you do what hickory does.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »
I agree with Pearl.......but my experience with hickory will fret if its too short for your draw.....the tiller needs to be right on the whole process.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 06:34:01 pm »
I'll add that from here on out keep a really close eye on set and where it is appearing - set is simply put overstrained wood. You said that you worked on the left limb and it is now showing more set. This means that whilst sorting out the stiff area you have weakened that limb compared to the right. That sort of thing is about keeping the bigger picture in mind and keeping the overall balance whilst sorting out stiff/weak areas on individual limbs. As you are taking this to 30 inches you will get some set so try to use it as your guide to the weak areas and where needs work. It is important to work the limbs after all alterations.
With the width taper you have the final tiller shape should only have a little bend out of the fades with the amount of bend increasing as you progress along the limb. This is known as an elliptical tiller. 

Offline Jon Kaw

Re: Progress And Another Question, Pg 2
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:39 pm »
So I decided to limit the draw length to 28".  I tillered it out to around 40# at 28", then lightly toasted to the belly. 

The back of the stave had been sealed with a urethane and I didn't have the foresight to remove it before toasting the belly.  The back ended up getting too warm and the urethane scorched.

I understand that heating the back of the stave is a bad thing, my question is how bad do you think this is? 

The pic was taken after I sanded off the scorched urethane, so what you see is the damage to the wood.  Did I ruin the stave, should I back it with rawhide, or should I proceed without backing and see what happens?  Thanks in advance for your insight.

Offline Springbuck

Re: Progress And Another Question, Pg 2
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
Probably nt bad.  Poly would scorch before wood.  And, it's hickory.