Author Topic: Finding rock is confusing  (Read 8446 times)

Offline MulchMaker

Finding rock is confusing
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:45:09 am »
Hello all, I live In upstate New York in which there is an abundance of knappable stone, according to the state geologist and every flintknapper ive read online says the same. So to get to the point I've wandered up and down just about every river and stream for the last two years with a bopper or a large hammer stone if I forgot the bopper and I have found a ton of stuff that was to small to use or just not good quality flint. Am I just flint blind? There is supposed to be Onondaga chert around here somewhere and the glaciers should have put it into every stream around here. Is there a better way? It seams every piece I find is a limestone cobble with a thin piece of chert running through it. I bought a small amount of dacite, obsidian, and some noveculite to learn on and bottle glass always goes in the pocket when I'm looking for rock. But I'd like to get my hands on a method to find some natural stuff.
Thanks

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Finding rock is confusing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:52:59 am »
Look for areas where they cut through the hills for roads or train tracks. There should be a layer of chert fairly deep in the strata. Along the lake shore and the Niagara river are supposed to be good spots as well. If you have a college or high school nearby you could always ask the geology professor. They usually have pretty good knowledge of where to find local rocks. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »
Supposedly, if you draw a line between Buffalo and Albany this is roughly where the Onondaga outcropped, pushed close to the surface, now any rivers , creeks ,roads or other construction  that crosses line  will have some Stink rock. Also I know the cuts across close to the Peace bridge and I have gotten some Onondaga from northen neighbors who have picked up on Lake Erie North Shores, Stink rock comes in all kinds of grades just like any other rock. It usually is layered in with limestone and not easy to get good quality stuff. if I were you I would make sure and be at Letchworth knappin, week before labor day. If you see a bunch of guys running all crazed up to the parking lot get going if you want some Onondaga, believe me it don't last long and the quality varies. It can be tuff rock to work especially lower grades but you only need one primo pc and you will understand the crazed look ;D. As big as the Letchwoth knappin is there is not and over abundance of Onondaga. Good Luck with your search and hope to see ya at Letchworth . Bob

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »
thanks for the good info it looks like the line goes through auburn ny I've never searched that area before. I guess I'll still keep an eye out for bottle glass as well while I'm looking for chert, it is definitely stinky as you say, which is cool. As far as the letchworth stone tool show I'm making it a point to be there this year. I hope to meet you there. There are a couple of colleges and high schools near by I'm sure they would be able to point me in the right direction too, never thought of taping that informational resource. Thanks guys

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:08:28 am »
If you're going for bottle glass don't over look old television sets. I prefer it to bottles because the glass is much thicker and not as curved. There's a couple you tube videos on how to break them properly without getting injured or ruining the glass.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:15:23 am »
I think I may know where there is an old tv or two, and twice a year on "junk days" I should be able to find a few as well!! I never even though of tv being useful for anything until now. Thanks Dacota Kid!!

Offline turbo

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:04:25 am »
New York has some cool lithics. Some are on the cruder side so if you're starting to knap they may not be ideal. Some NY state lithics include Onondaga, Esopus, Normanskill and Snake Hill Chert. I highly recommend going to the Letchworth State Park knap-in. You'll meet people from your state that knap and can point you in the right direction.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 03:20:12 pm »
I'm rook poor and I use a lot of glass. Old TV screens and old computer screens to. I don't think the flat screens will work but I'm not positive
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 06:54:22 pm »
Glass is pretty easy to come by, there is a crick that runs behind my house and many generations ago people used to dump stuff over the bank, there are old tractor tires thick glass jars flat whisky bottles oil drums...you never know what you will find up the crick a spell. I'll practice on that, and try to work the best of the gritty stuff I can find in the cricks. It's like not quite chert but it's not limestone either . It's between. Thanks to you all. I've got a few workable pieces I'll post a few soon to show you the best of my part of the state. It's a challenge.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »
Mulch, finding rock is not confusing , Just anty up that credit card  :o and show up at a big knapping and I am sure are great rock dealers will be able to help you out. Bob

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 01:11:51 pm »
Mulch, finding rock is not confusing , Just anty up that credit card  :o and show up at a big knapping and I am sure are great rock dealers will be able to help you out. Bob
I am so tempted to order some, but I keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be a free hobby after you get your tools paid for, at least for me. I could have made tools I guess, lol. My whole goal is to make totally free hunting sets. Bow, arrows, arrowheads, quiver, bowstring. With all the bottle glass around here I'll just stick with that for now and try to find chert that's suitable as well. I think when my wife ask where we're going for vacation I'll tell her Glass butte though.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 05:32:11 pm »
Mulchmaker, I went to Flintridge and mined my own flint, it is something that every knapper should do( mine your own). When you are done trying to get a few pcs out of a limestone crack then sort the layers, then heat treat, and grade and end up with about 1/2 of what you started out with , not counting the 250 mile drive one way. After this is done I sure had a differ respect for the price of a pretty pc of Flint ridge and the rock dealer that brought it. Finally if I still don't like his price I can still say no and pick up a pc of ole dry brown Dover and pretend it is a beautiful pc of blue , green, red, and yellow swirly flint ridge.  :o ;D Just have fun with it and when I first started I busted up a lot of glass also. Bob

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 10:15:31 am »
I'm not in any hurry, my points still need a lot of refining before I'd pay money to ruin top quality stone. I've got enough to hunt with for now. Flint Ridge sounds fun!! Might have to go there too. What matters is I am having fun and learning and improving my skill, I was just making sure I wasn't chert blind. I'd rather use stone but I doubt an Iroquois 800 years ago would have walked by a glass bottle so neither will I . Thanks guys for showing me that I'm doing just fine and everyone in my area is likely in the same situation.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 06:19:43 am »
This is the only flint point I've made out of self provided stone.
It's so small that it redefines the concept of bird point and clearly explains why they were so used in the past  :D
Finding stone is not that easy and finding good stone is even more difficult (no I dont live on the glass buttes  :D )
I prefer to stay on glass as long as I'm learning and continue the quest for flint in the meanwhile

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 10:46:42 am »
MulchMaker nothing wrong with playing with glass. It is a good material that can teach you a lot. It's not nearly as frustrating turning free glass into gravel. I would however recommend going to any knapping gatherings you can. It is a great way to meet people and buy stone with out paying shipping. I'm a old farm boy and it's still hard for me to believe I paid good money for rock but I did.
I spent $130 on rock at Marshall Primitive Archer meet and I have learned an enormous amount from this stone. I still look for stone here and knap glass but I don't regret the money I spent on the stone I got, it was a good deal and I plan on getting more next time. I still have a lot of that stone left. Believe me I'm very frugal, but I know a good deal when I get it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise