Author Topic: Finding rock is confusing  (Read 8448 times)

Offline MulchMaker

Re: Finding rock is confusing
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 08:56:22 am »
GlisGlis very nice point! Looks better than my local points (2) I'll post them after my data roles over, getting low. Glass is a great teacher, but not the only teacher. I think Mrs. Glass has some more to teach befor I move on to Mrs. Chert.
Bjrogg I bought some noveculite and a small amount of dacite and obsidian when I got my tools a few years ago, it taught me a lot and I got a few points out of it. I'm not totally  opposed to buying rock but I think I'm gonna wait a bit and run through the bottle glass (I have a ton) by then the stone tool show at Letchworth in august will be here and maybe I'll pick some up there..
thanks guys

Offline JEB

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 09:11:59 am »
Like OutBack said, try and get to Letchworth. Wife and I went there last summer for the first time and it was a great event. There were a handful of vendors there to buy rock from.  Prices are the same you just save on postage costs when you buy at a knap in and get to pick out your rock.  Lethworth has a big top tent for knappers and there is almost always a pile of rock tossed on the knapping tarp for knappers to have and work.

Also been to a few other knap ins, Flintrdge, Marshall and Fredricksburg.  The same suppliers are at those events also.

Wife and I are in the S.W. right now and just got back from a rock run.  It is  a site that I found about 10 years ago that has a lot of different cherts .  One is a Flintridge look a like and once cooked it knaps real nice.  Keep looking, asking, viewing and reading and you will find your rock. Be careful with TV glass as that has some not so nice stuff in it.

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 08:57:36 am »
Thanks for the advise JEB on letchworth. Free rock to work under a tent sounds nice. At any rate I'm going for the show and it will be a good excuse to go to letchworth again. Anyone who has not seen the park and is within 10 hour driving distance should go camp the night in the "Grand Canyon of the east" if the stone tool show is going on you can throw that driving distance out the window. It is one of those places you should see in your life.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 07:08:00 am »
Might have to put it on my bucket list. Just looked up the park on goggle earth and looks like my kind of place. When is the knap in?
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:23:57 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline turbo

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 08:22:44 am »
Might have to put it on my bucket list. Just looked up the park on goggle earth and looks like my kind of place. When is the knap in?
Bjrogg

They have a knap-in for every season, the fall being the largest. Just Google 'letchworth knap in' and you'll find the dates.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 08:28:23 am »
Letchworth, weekend before Labor day. Flintridge, laborday weekend, back to back weekends of some of the best knappers in the country and rock dealers from all over. Lots to do  camping ,atl-atl, museums, and some great views.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 10:12:07 am »
Thanks Turbo and Outback, definitely putting this one and Flint Ridge on my bucket list. Thinking my wife would like Letchworth so that always helps.
Bjrogg

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 10:49:30 am »
Bjrogg,I've been 2 times to the park, not during the show, and I'd go for a submarine sandwich as excuse to go again . I found out about the stone tool show last year a few days after the show so I can't comment but from what these guys are saying it's amazing!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »
Thanks MulchMaker, I already talked to wife about it. It's on our list just not sure when we'll get it done yet but good Lord willing we'll get there sometime. Hopefully sooner than later.
Bjrogg

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 08:20:12 am »
This past summer Letchworth was held within  150 yards of two swimming pools, the showers and restrooms.  Wife and I spent a week there and had a great time.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »
 ;
This past summer Letchworth was held within  150 yards of two swimming pools, the showers and restrooms.  Wife and I spent a week there and had a great time.
Don't forget one of the most scenic canyon's in the east. ;D

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 08:25:47 pm »
Didn't mean to high jack this thread but thanks for answering my questions about Letchworth. This really sounds like a must do.
Bjrogg

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 08:13:40 am »
BJROGG YOU HI JACKER!!! Lol just kidding..  >:D I don't mind if my threads take twist and turns. You guys help me out on a daily basis. PA is a huge wealth of knowledge to search. If the search comes up short or I don't understand you guys help me out with the info or encourage me to continue on. Besides if we didn't wander  these threads would be kind of  boring . I've got a lot of mentors on my quest to make all things archery, and I know when I hand my wife a bow and a quiver with 20 arrows I will be i debt to many for the smile I will witness. Thank you all

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 09:50:23 am »
Thanks MulchMaker I think you're right on. I can't wait to see your wife with her bow. Wish I could be there to see you give it to her
Bjrogg

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 07:16:40 am »
Thanks Bjrogg I'll take some pictures. The hardest thing about making a bow for your wife is the twenty or so points for the arrows. I say this without having made the quiver yet, lol. Arrows weren't to bad, shaft straitening and such, I do about 2 or three a day. The bow is coming along well, just made a bow string and a tillering stick and my stave is roughed out and dry and floor tillered .I only have 18 arrowheads to go and I bet they will be the most challenging. Good thing she is  patient. I'm glad she has put me on this path, it's lots of fun, something I always wanted to do and I get to make new friends...Mr. bjrogg.

-Zach