Author Topic: Tonkin or spruce shafts?  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Scottski

Re: Tonkin or spruce shafts?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 10:00:42 pm »
Me I like the bamboo.  Real tough arrows when you get done makeing them and the looks well they look  authentic when you add some knapped points and wild turkey feathers to them. All around really good arrow material I think. That's just my 2 cents.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
Re: Tonkin or spruce shafts?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 06:18:19 pm »
just as a side note, the shafts from your supplier are NOT sitka spruce, but rather the german spruce.
although there are a lot of wood arrow species worse than German spruce, that still make good shafts,  German spruce is a far cry from Sitka.
just a heads up, being from south africa myself, i fully understand the difficulties in getting traditional/primitive archery supplies.

There are lots of excellent shaft materials out there, all with their pros and cons, and the only way to truly know what suits you best is to buy  and try them all (-S
personally i think Tonkin is an excellent shaft material, and it would be an easy choice for me between Tonkin and German spruce.
now if ya wanna talk tonkin and sitka, .... well we can duke it out :o :o
seriously the tonkin is superb material , and in many respects may be better suited to a primitive ideology than a manufactured shaft, but they do take more work.
Although those khans shafts looked pretty sweet in the pics on the other post on here!!

i hope you got sorted out!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:23:39 pm by TSA »